12 November 2009

The Romans are coming, the Romans are coming!


Ghivens Ferry State Park, Ridgeville, S.C.

I won't make it there this year but in case you can, here is the scoop.

Castra Romana VIII
Givhans Ferry State Park,746 Givhans Ferry Road, Ridgeville, South Carolina 29472
Park Phone Number: (843) 873-0692
Please Note: Best time for the public to attend is Saturday from 10 am to 4 pm.Public Demonstrations Saturday, 14 Nov.
Participants Onsite Nov 13-15 2009

You must admit you don't get invited to a Roman Encampment every day. When I heard there was a Roman Encampment last year I couldn't not go. I had just hiked across England following Emperor Hadrian's wall wearing a Roman helmet and had to see it for myself. I was warmly welcomed and it turned out one of the participants was a surgical nurse at the hospital. Always nice to have a nurse where there is swordplay, eh!

Here are a few other shots from last year to tempt you.

No comments: