15 September 2009

Can it be twenty years ago?


Awendaw Creek, Hwy 17 North, S.C.

Can it be twenty years? Twenty years since I had a name tag put on my wrist when I went to work at the hospital in case my body needed to be identified. Twenty years since every house on my street earned a new roof and boats were scattered over the peninsula? I used to think we should run shredded blue tarp up our flagpoles on the anniversary date of Hurricane Hugo since we all had them to keep the rain out of our wounded homes.

It still seems too recent to bear the thought of Charleston being hit by another major hurricane and thankfully we've been lucky this year. We didn't have digital cameras then, but many of us were taking pictures and the Post & Courier is looking for them. It's time to dust off your scrapbooks, scan in a few and forward them to the email listed below.
We Want to Hear from You
The Post and Courier and postandcourier.com are compiling stories and photos for the 20th anniversary of Hurricane Hugo. Do you have a story to tell? Send your story ideas, photographs and contact info to newstips@postandcourier.com.

Whoops...to clarify, this photo was taken this weekend. The boat landed there after Hugo and lays there still.

5 comments:

Lowell said...

Striking photographs! Hard to believe this thing is still there after 20 years! Yes, we've all been fortunate this year (so far!)...let's hope it lasts!

Les said...

Thanks for the links. I measure my life as either before Hugo or after.

Halcyon said...

Interesting photos. I'm glad I've never been through a severe hurricane. Let's hope none strike this year.

Charlestonjoan said...

Jacob - It is still there. I think it has a fiberglass hull so it will last forever.

Les - It was a huge deal. We bought our house the year before Hugo. Ouch.

Halcyon - So far so good. We have been very lucky this year. It's been such a relief.

JanetLee said...

I can't believe it's been that long either! I wasn't a nurse at the time, but I've heard the stories told.

I worked at a local insurance company when Hugo came. Think I'd rather have been in lock down at the hospital!