12 August 2009

Unusual Burial Places


Magnolia Plantation & Gardens, Charleston, S.C.

I like ancient trees and old cemeteries and this picture nicely includes them both.

See the black area on the tree trunk? The cremated remains of the former owner of Magnolia Plantation are neatly tucked inside the ancient oak tree. Not sure how the tree felt about that. I expect it won't be long before the wound heals over and he will be completely sealed inside it.
By the time John Drayton Hastie passed away in 2003, he had restored Magnolia Gardens to their former glory. And rather than be interred in the historic Drayton family tomb along the Ashley River, Hastie chose to remain forever one with the gardens he loved. His remains were cremated and placed in a large live oak tree near Magnolia’s famous Long Bridge – a tree reported to have been planted by the first American Drayton, Thomas, more than 300 years ago.
I came home early to work on a project. Spent hours on it. When I tried to save it, I got a "problem with this program, needs to close" message. Now I can't even open the power point program file from my thumb drive. Sheeeesh. Hours, I tell ya. Hours. Clearly no sense trying to do anymore work tonight.

10 comments:

Lowell said...

Beautiful photos! And a great story, Joan. Sorry about your computer problems. They can drive one right up the wall.

Anonymous said...

Hi Joan. Always a treat to visit.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like as nice a place as any to spend eternity. I love Magnolia gardens!

Les @ atidewatergardener.blogspot.com

Charlestonjoan said...

Jacob - Computer problems. They always catch you at the most frustrating moment.

wildstorm - Nice to see you!

Les - I do too. One of my favorite places. I keep an annual pass. They should give it to me truthfully for all the promotion I do for them.

Sunny said...

Always something interseting here!! I love this entry. :) Being a tree-hugger, and love flowers too, I'd like to be in a resting spot like this one.

Sunny said...

"Interesting" ...sorry for the typo up there!

Frank said...

There has to be some mystical, magical connection between your post of the burial in the oak tree and your loss of hours of work on the presentation. (Isn't that the most frustrating thing to lose everything like that!!) Was John trying to get a message through to you and crashed the program? Just a strange, off-the-wall thought. Maybe if you return to the tree, and ...

Charlestonjoan said...

Frank - :) I like that suggestion. I suppose he can't just call.

Judy - It is original, isn't it!

jusdealem said...

That is so interesting..odd!..but interesting. Great photos, Joan. I tried to leave a comment for you on another post, but I have been having trouble with my computer, too. Thanks for stopping by my blog the other day. :)

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! Love it.

- Marcheline