28 August 2009

Travel Time


This Sucks, Charleston, S.C.

I am in Phoenix, Arizona staying at what should be one of the coolest hotels, the Frank Lloyd Wright inspired Arizona Biltmore. It's my second night and I am waiting to be moved to my third room. Yawn.

On arrival I was given a key and map to find a room that turned out to be what felt like a quarter mile away, in 112 degree heat and smelled like a dirty baby diaper (the room, not me I hope!).

I tolerated it the first night passing other lost customers looking for their rooms on my walk back and forth. When a hotel representative type came by to check the status of my mini bar, I pulled him inside and asked if all the rooms smelled like mine. "Noooooooooooo....."

I felt pretty smug being moved into a room in the main building so I wouldn't have to hike around the compound each time I went to a meeting until I came back after the evening session to find my room warm and stuffy. The maintenance man came by after a while and recommended moving yet again. Aaaargh.

Good news is I finally got a room with a hot pot for tea. Maybe that is really why I had to keep room hopping.

In other news, my presentation went really well! Coolness. There are 400 or so health care Volunteer program managers here and quite a few topic choices for each time slot. I had no idea if my subject would be of any interest but my room was nicely filled and people seemed to have a good time. I've never presented at a national conference before so this felt pretty good.

Tea time kids. This time change is sending me early to bed.

5 comments:

Catalyst said...

Ouch! I'm so sorry your stay at the Biltmore has been so sorry.

Anonymous said...

Sidewalk art is always interesting...the words remind me of Beavis and Butthead, and also fit your experiece with the hotel...good luck with that, they say the third time is a charm, perhaps the third room will be more sufficient.

Anonymous said...

That is wonderful ! I mean your presentation not your room woes. Sally

Charlestonjoan said...

This room is lovely! I am time change scrambled and woke at 4 am. Just finished pat Controy's South of Broad and am blessing the friend who recorded the old "Hope and Glory" movie. Time to curl up in bed and watch a movie until it is a civilized hour.

Catalyst - I do get time to go to Scottsdale this evening. I am looking forward to that.

Marcheline said...

Now you know a bit of what it's like to be a flight attendant. In four years of flying, I can't tell you how many odd hotel room experiences I've had... or maybe I can. I feel a blog post coming up!

Cheers, Joan. How's the toe holding up?