20 July 2009

Before & After - Charleston



Vanderhorst St., Charleston, S.C.

I found another "Before & After" shot for you. This time it is mine.

The house was covered with old white fiberglass shingles when we bought it, which happily covered unpainted wood siding that was in surprisingly good condition. My brother Jim and his girlfriend Cheryl (hi Cheryl!) drove the VW van from Vancouver to Charleston twenty some years ago, had a nice lowcountry holiday and painted my house blue right after hurricane Hugo power washed it for us.

When I end up spending every long weekend painting and joke that my house is held together with 170 years of thick paint, it is because it is the truth.

That is my brother up there on the top of the ladder. Shudder.

10 comments:

Doug said...

I guess it was easier to put on shingles than to paint, eh?

I have been working on "Tiny Kingston" for the last few days. C'mon over and tell me what you think :-)

Charlestonjoan said...

Doug! They are so very cool. You have some great shots. Makes me want to go to Kingston now.

Chattahoochee Valley Daily said...

Love the blue, so coastal.

Catalyst said...

Is that one of those rascally black cabs in front of the newly painted house?

Charlestonjoan said...

bfarr - Thank you. I love blue. Anytime something of mine is not blue you can assume I have shown self restraint.

Catalyst - Ha! I wish. The only times I have had a black cab in front of the house it has been too dark to get a picture. Someday....

Pat said...

Oooh...that ladder. How on earth did he not fall off that?

Charlestonjoan said...

Makes me queasy just to look at it.

Judy said...

Beautiful! I could never get up that high on a ladder. You have a brave brother.

Frank said...

I think a lot of us find the thought of working on that ladder at your top most window is just out of the question. (As much as we like you your family loves you more.)

I love how you write that Hugo powered washed it for you. It sure makes the blue stick good and really pop. Very nice.

Charlestonjoan said...

Jarart - I couldn't either.

Frank - Hugo did a little more than power wash to tell the truth. It knocked the chimneys off, they crushed the sewer line, all the wires were ripped off the house and we needed a new roof. Didn't flood though. Got lucky there.