20 June 2009

Eva & Little Jane


Second Presbyterian Church, Meeting St., Charleston, SC

I keep my eye out for unlocked gates and Second Presbyterian Church on Meeting St. had the gate to the cemetery behind the church open this morning inviting me to wander. There are a few favorites in this cemetery that I check back on each time I get in and little Eva is one of them. From the back the childish squatting figure looks so sad and lonely as if she has simply given up on anyone coming for her. Front view.

Not too far from Eva is Our Little Jane. The words "our" and "little" on these tombstones tear my heart out at the families loss so many years ago.

1 comment:

Marcheline said...

I love cemeteries, especially old ones. The artwork and care taken back then are unequalled in the machine-generated etchings of today's headstones. Beautiful and heartbreaking at the same time.