10 April 2009

My Sweet Baby


1965 Caravel Airstream, Charleston, SC

My sweet baby. Yep, she is a vintage 1965 Caravel Airstream and she is mine. She has been tucked away in the woods on the back of my ex-husband's property for years. I'm going to have to do something with her but I haven't told her yet. Ssssshh!

Today was the first time in over five years that anyone has been inside and look how perfect everything is. I took a couple of the curtains home to wash but other than that she was in great shape and just needs a wipe down. When I bought her years ago from an elderly couple I had the seats re-upholstered, sewed curtains and refinished the wood and hinges. The outside skin could use a good polish but shined up nicely going through a car wash today.

I suppose I'll have to sell her eventually since I don't own land or a vehicle to tow her. If anyone has a dream spot on a lake that needs a guest cabin and wants to share her let me know. The canvas chairs and an inflatable canoe are tucked inside the cabinets ready to go. There is a CD player and an electric tea kettle. What more could anyone need? Meanwhile, if I need to sell her, it looks like inflation has hit the Airstream market while she has been in hiding. Wowza.



15 comments:

Lowell said...

Don't see many of the old Airstreams anymore, but when I was growing up they were common. It is amazing how well kept this one is. Hope you find a buyer - if you have to sell it.

Doug said...

You need a Ford Country Squire to haul that around :-)

Give it a good polishing and pocket a nice piece of change.

B SQUARED said...

Beautiful! You may want to place a call to the Smithsonian. It really is a slice of Americana.

Antjas said...

Do you have any vacancies for April 23-26? And what are your rates? Do you serve a continental breakfast?

Mr. Natural said...

Nice little trailer! I LOVE old RV's. Our driver is a '65 Chev 1 ton with original self contained motorhome coach. We also have a 51 35 foot Spartan aluminum. If you DO decide to polish your baby, be warned that it is a BIG job, and if not done correctly can really harsh your buzz. Easy to look up on the net. I'd start at birchwood beauties. I followed you over here from Anne's AMPLE SANITY, and glad I did as I got to see your baby!

Charlestonjoan said...

Jacob - The people that love Airstreams search for them and keep them. They have rallies and shows.

Doug - I think it would shine up nicely.

B Squared - It is indeed a fun piece of Americana. There is lots of cool Airstream info on the internet.

Antjas - There ya go! I should buy a piece of property and rent it out. Good idea :)

Mr. Natural -Isn't Ample Sanity the coolest? It sounds like you have some vintage treasures.

becomingkate said...

You can park it in my backyard! Then visit, whenever you like.
It's in great shape!

Charlestonjoan said...

The two people who have offered to let me put in on their property are both in Canada! Thanks Kate!

GirlBlogger said...

GOSH, I LOVE airstreams. Someday, I would love one myself.

Charlestonjoan said...

GirlBlogger - Isn't she a sweetie?

D said...

OH, that's a keeper. Amazing condition!

Niiki said...

I just found this online.... I just bought this camper and just started to restore it...It is fantastic to find this article






1

Sarah Caravel said...

Oh! Sell me this!!!!!!

Sarah Caravel said...

Oh! Sell me this!!!!!!

Sarah Caravel said...

Oh! Sell me this!!!!!!