24 April 2009

Home Plate Cooking


Chef Marvin Woods, Charleston, SC

Chef Marvin Woods of "Home Plate" cooking on Turner South TV was at the hospital for a book signing this afternoon. I spotting shy members of our cafeteria staff peaking out with curiosity realizing they recognized him from his show. When I suggested it, he charmed them all by walking through the back kitchen, posing for pictures, signing autographs and hearing about who really makes the best red rice in the lowcountry. According to us, we do! :)

I am slow. It just dawned on me now that I am supposed to wear my autographed bandanna on my head. Classier than a hairnet I guess.

Chef Marvin Woods on Turner South
Marvin Woods is an effective ambassador for the flavor filled world called the Low Country, an eighty square mile area surrounding Charleston and Savannah. He has become the unofficial and universally respected spokesperson for the essentially African cooking styles, which include influences from Spain, France and the Caribbean. These combine to make up one of the most intriguing regional cuisines which Chef Woods has brilliantly synthesized in his recipes and cooking demonstrations. With such originality,” Home Plate” is a sure bet to become a winner.

No comments: