30 March 2009

Trip of a lifetime


Walk for Water, Charleston, SC

The hospital I work at decided to try to raise enough money to build a water purification treatment system for a little hospital in Kenya. We did it! They were able to announce today that we have raised more than our goal in the last few months. We have been working with Water Missions International and in touch with the Plateau Mission Hospital.

The unit we build will provide clean water for a community of 6,000, including the 89-bed hospital and a primary school that serves 600 children.

Here is the part that stunned me - they called to see if I wanted to go over and be there when the unit is dedicated and functioning. I haven't been able to talk about this until it was certain but at the moment it looks like I may be going to Kenya in May. What an incredible opportunity. Wow.

7 comments:

MrScribbler said...

Wow -- Are you gonna have some pictures to show us!

It's so nice to know others recognize your goodness and spirit...just as we do!

Charlestonjoan said...

It will be quite amazing. I left my passport at work with a visa application today but it hasn't sunk in yet.

Judy said...

What a fantastic thing to do! Congrats to all on raising all the money needed. And now a trip to Kenya! How great.

Doug said...

Wow is all I can say. Oh, and take lots of memory cards and batteries :-)

Pixel Peeper said...

You are right - wow! How long will you be there? And I second the thought of taking lots of memory cards and batteries. Lots and lots. You have an audience to keep happy, you know!

How wonderful!

Anonymous said...

They couldn't have asked a more perfect person to be there at the dedication. What a wonderful experience, Joan! By the way, they grow delicious tea in Kenya!

Anonymous said...

Oh, Joan I'm so happy for you. WOW ! Sally