25 March 2009

My Little Tiny Bottle Tree Plan


Cypress Gardens, Moncks Corner, SC

I've been wanting to make a bottle tree for some time but decided not to after picturing shreds of glass all over my yard after one of our wild windstorms.

My idea then was to make a mini-bottle tree ............cool, eh! Until a few years ago all of our SC bars sold liquor in mini bottles. Now, not so much. I've considered being a bar dumpster diver looking for wee blue bottles. Stinky job that would be.

One of my volunteers listened to my plea and came to work the other day with a brown paper bag - for me. Yep, it was full of little blue bottles. Even better, they are full of vodka! Full of vodka that I have to drink before I can go ahead with my project. This might be my most fun craft project ever.

History of the Bottle Tree

The bottle tree is based on the belief that the shiny, colored glass can attract and then trap the evil spirits. It is a beautiful addition to any garden. The colorful glass adorning the “limbs” will catch the light of the sun and will display a dazzling light show.

7 comments:

Catalyst said...

Something makes me think this tree may take awhile.

And it may lean.

Doug said...

Um, okey dokey, Joan...
;-)

Charlestonjoan said...

Teachers get apples. I get vodka ;)

Halcyon said...

Beautiful! I think they are also some kind of Southern thing. I've never seen them in the north, but tons of people have them down here in Jackson.

imabug said...

if you need a hand getting started on your bottle tree, let me know :)

Sunny said...

That was very interesting, thanks! Love that shade of blue. :)

Anonymous said...

I love that bottle tree out there. Great idea about the mini-bottles. I want to create a teapot tree in my yard. Still noodling that idea around .....