08 February 2009

A view from the past


Charleston, SC

I have boxes of old pictures in my office closet and while looking for a shot the folks in Marketing needed last week I came across some old pictures of downtown Charleston documenting the building of Roper Hospital.

This one was taken from the roof of Roper Hospital on Calhoun St. looking towards the Ashley River and is labeled 1953. I was amazed that there were no buildings between the hospital and the river. No buildings, no hotels, no docks built out into the river. Only one bridge.

Here are a few others.

Hmmm. Wonder if I can get up on the new tower and take another shot of the same view.

I hope everyone is having a nice weekend.

5 comments:

Dorrie said...

what fun! I love old photos, especially before and after.

Anonymous said...

Definitely get on the tower and take the photo.

Charlestonjoan said...

Dorrie: Me too :)

Mike: I think I will. I'll print this out and take it with me. We have so few tall buildings it makes it a unique view.

Maggsworld said...

It would be wonderful to take a current photo from the same location looking the same way but now instead of then. Maggs

Charlestonjoan said...

Maggs: I looked at the scene today and I think it might be completely blocked by higher buildings. I'll figure out some similar shot. Thanks for the comments. You know I love them.