18 February 2009

Joan's brother - no accent there, no sir...



Meet my brother Jim.

How do I make this video fit on the Charleston Daily Photo site?

Some of you, familiar with my previous blog, knew that I had been fortunate to grow up in what we consider the most beautiful part of India, in the hills of the far north east. I was one of eight children. My youngest brother Jim, was born at home during a wild March windstorm while I sat cross legged on the upper level of a double bunk bed waiting to hear him cry.

We played our childhood games with large packs of barefoot kids and Jim strapped on one of our backs. He grew up speaking fragments of many languages and finally settled back in Shillong, married and now has two adorable little boys. He leads eco-adventure travel trips in an area that had been closed to travelers for many years.

So, let's see.....he has visited me in Charleston many times. He painted my lowcountry house twice. His wife Val, met her first Santa Claus in Marion Square and practically leaped onto his lap. I think that will do. We can't even pretend that he has a Charleston accent after this video. When any of you are ready for a real adventure give him a call. He scouts for National Geographic documentaries and serves as a guide for photographers and travelers.

Congrats on the interview and travel book Jim!

Here is more info on our little corner of the world:
Still mysterious, fierce and almost immeasurably vast the modern states of Arunachal Pradesh, Nagaland, Manipur, Mizoram, Tripura, Meghalaya and Assam present themselves to the visitor today.

Politically they are a part of India. Together they are forming a triangle, which is called India’s Northeast or the “Seven Sisters of India”. Framed by Tibet in the north, China in the east, Burma in the south and Bangladesh in the west the expression “Seven Sisters of India” has been chosen appropriately – evoking associations of a certain connection to the motherland India, but also feelings of distance and remoteness.

5 comments:

Pat said...

I bet Kathie would love one of his tours!

Anonymous said...

Hmmm....maybe I should talk with him about setting up a tea tour????

Doug said...

How did you end up in SC, Joan? Jim makes a good case for visiting that part of India.

Anonymous said...

Pat: she might!

Denise: Certainly his area.

Doug: I came back to go to nursing school in Toronto. I graduated at a time when there were NO jobs for nurses in the whole country. I was alone and needed to work so came down to work in one of the hospitals that came up to recruit us. I started in Florida and then spent time in WVa before landing here.

Dorrie said...

that was fun to listen to. My granddaughter, Shiana, will be 2 in April and is learning English, German, and Hindi... all mixed up! It'll be interesting how that works. Oh, and she now has a baby sister since Feb. 11 *wink*