07 January 2009

Little Boxes, Painted Boxes.....


King St., Charleston, SC

It's wild and windy out there kids. Tighten your bonnets!

This is some crazy site.

Yesterday's article on the tragedy of graffiti by Robert Behre on our precious old buildings suggested that we might consider offering more authorized places for artists to express themselves like the boat on Folly Rd. Even I have painted it.

Snooping around these Daily Photo Blogs I found this grand idea for painted traffic signal boxes in Brisbane, Australia. I love it! Almost every intersection has one and they always have graffiti scrawled on them anyway. This would be a great idea. They have an application process and a book.

Naturally I will need to go to Australia to research the project.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is what I love about older, historic cities...their architecture. Newer cities are overflowing with steel and glass, which I find cold. Give me brick and morter any day. :)

S

Anonymous said...

On a scale of 1 to 10, how would you rate your city if compared to Savannah, Georgia? The reason I asked is that we did visit Savannah and found it a joy to wander around in. I am intrigued by your city and wondered how you rank it. I also can relate to the graffiti high up as I have some photos of some very old brick buildings with graffiti on them on the sheer sides -- way up there.

I still have the old blogs but I also have new ones Abe Lincoln Blogs and also look at Abraham Lincoln's Blog

Catalyst said...

Those buildings are beautiful and graffiti "artists" who just scrawl should be executed at high noon!

Anonymous said...

I love the idea of approved street art -- those boxes are wonderful. I've seen art on everything from fire hydrants to those little oil pump thingies. Lifts the spirits, it does.

Anonymous said...

It worked! (the redirection)

Anonymous said...

arthur: Thanks for the reminder!

Anne: I want to do them here. I've forwarded the idea to some of the powers that be.

catalyst: I agree. I love creative stuff but ruining these old treasures makes me crazy.

lowandslow: We have some of the best here.

Abraham Lincoln: They are both beautiful cities. Savannah is a more planned city with the formal garden squares while Charleston's historic district is contained by the peninsula. I found quite a few discussions by googling "Charleston vs Savannah". I feel like Charleston is a more livable city with schools, hospitals and grocery stores right in the historic district. It isn't just for tourists. Naturally I think we are best to live in, and that Savannah is the perfect weekend getaway.

Anne: Welcome! Glad you found me :)