02 June 2015

This old house

Vanderhorst St., Charleston, SC 
This old house. It was built around 1840 and was my old house. I noticed it is for sale again and had stickers taped up offering a sublease for the summer. When I walk by I still feel responsible and want to close the gates and shut the shed doors. My brother Jim painted that house for me from top to bottom - a couple of time, and the trees were planted in honor of my parents. Now it appears to be a rental property with no more window boxes, flags or rocking chairs on the porch. Two pairs of tenants fell in love and ended up marrying while we owned the house. I hope the new owners enjoy living there as much as we did.

The Spoleto Festival is in full swing and today I finally feel like a participant. Vivaldi at St. Philip's Church, a bite to eat at Leaf, and then Casus Circus at Memminger Auditorium. Color me artsy!



4 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful and sad precious memories! I love that house, I experienced so much love there.
love Shirley

William Kendall said...

A beautiful colour for the place!

chuckography said...

Uh, is that car blocking the driveway? Just checkin'.

Chuck

Jack said...

This is quite a lovely house. I can see why you were happy there. Glad the current place is working for you!