03 June 2015

Historic Rice Mill building

West Point Rice Mill, Lockwood Blvd, Charleston, SC 
I have had requests for use of an earlier picture I took of the Rice Mill building at the Charleston Marina by couples wanting to use it on their wedding invitation. Now they have another view as their option. Funny how everyone who asks to use a picture promises to send me a copy but they never do. Wedding invitations, books, book covers, bank debit cards etc. I've never been sent a copy of what they needed my image for. I've tracked back to a couple of web sites that asked for permission and I do appreciate being asked. Luckily I have often received a donation to the American Heart Association for photo use so no harm done.

It is an impressive building. For a while there was a bar and restaurant named Pussers which seemed an unfortunate name, but now it seems to be mostly used for events. I didn't know until this very moment that it was known at the West Point Rice Mill.
In 1840, Jonathan Lucas III built a four-story brick, steam-powered rice mill on the Ashley River.This mill burned on November 20, 1860. Construction of a new mill began quickly. Although hampered by the Union blockade, the mill was capable of full operation in late 1863. When Charleston was occupied by the Union Army in 1865, the mill was used as a food distribution center. Its neighbor the East Point Rice Mill had been rebuilt in the mid-1840s by engineer James McLaren and the Scottish merchant James Robb. The mill passed to Robb's sons James Jr and William on his death in 1859. After the Civil War, the mill resumed operations and its production increased. In 1886, it suffered damage from the 1886 Charleston earthquake. Brickwork was damaged and the gables were brought down. At some point before the 1920s, the entire roof was replaced except for the kingposts and trusses.
My cell phone step counter says I have walked 9,464 steps today but I think we will round that off and count it as 10,000 since I am not going back out. 




1 comment:

William Kendall said...

Quite an impressive building. I wonder what the bird thinks of it.