01 February 2012

Best Photo Locations for Charleston Visit?

Two Meeting St. Inn, Meeting St., Charleston, S.C.
I received this email recently and thought Charleston folks might be of help. On further questioning she says they are particularly interested in architecture and nature and will be in the area March 10 - 17. Where shall we send them? I will take any suggestions from comments and FB and add them to the bottom of the post.  
I will start us off with a picture of one of the most photographed romantic Inns at the very end of Meeting St. by the Battery. Not all of us can afford to stay there but we can all take pictures of it!
Hi Joan,

I somehow found my way to your blog and was really blown away with the photos of Sheepman’s Graffiti. I am planning a first visit to your area in March with three other ladies from my local camera group. We will be staying for a week in Hilton Head and are planning to visit Charleston and Savannah. We are from Plymouth, Massachusetts.   A week is such a short time and we would very much appreciate it if you could help us out with a “must see” list to point us in the right directions. Any helpful suggestions or recommendations will be very much appreciated.

Thank you,



Let's do this - I have pulled these from your wonderful suggestions in comments. I know a few of you are planning trips to Charleston this spring so maybe this will help!

I think everyone agrees that simply exploring the Charleston peninsula on foot is the best use of a brief visit. I love Queen, Tradd, Church, Atlantic St.  Go to White Point Gardens. The DASH trolley is free so you can hop on and off. King St. has the shopping and restaurants and you can't go wrong for a bite to eat. As you go down King, take the Gateway Walk on your right and visit a few of the cemeteries. 

Peninsula Charleston
Gateway Walk off King St.
Walk lower east side of the peninsula between East Bay & Meeting St. near Broad.
Alleyways St. Michael's, Bedons, Longitude Lane, Philadelphia Alley

College of Charleston campus
Aiken Rhett House tour
Nathaniel Russell House tour
The Citadel: Beautiful campus. Dress parade on Friday afternoons.
Ashley Hall School campus

Cemeteries
Sunday is a good time to catch gates open. If you are up for a drive just north of the peninsula off upper Meeting St. on the right is Magnolia, Bethany and St. Lawrence Cemetery. You won't be sorry!
Magnolia Cemetery: Mausoleums and bird Sanctuary

Mount Pleasant
The view going across the Ravenel Bridge  is breathtaking and a great walk. There is a water taxi that is a fun, easy way to get out on the water. Mt. Pleasant has a sweet, historic old village that is delightful. There is a new boardwalk on Shem Creek and Vickeries on the water front is the perfect place to watch the sunset.

Charleston Water Taxi: Great views of the bridge and Yorktown
Old Village of Mount Pleasant
Sunset at Mt. Pleasant Waterfront Park

Shem Creek Board Walk


Plantations
Magnolia Plantation: Gardens, house, petting zoo, Audubon Swamp garden.
Boone Hall: House and avenue of grand oaks

Worth considering for a drive are: 
Angel Oak
Charlestowne Landing
McClellanville
Cawcaw Park
Mepkin Abbey
Cypress Gardens: Boat through the swamp

Ron Rocz' book Seeing Charleston is a terrific photo guide to the best spots.


23 comments:

Pamela said...

The Gateway Walk is always a good place to start. I'd also suggest visiting the new Shem Creek boardwalk for sunset photos and a great view of the trawlers. My favorite place to walk is the lower East side of Charleston between East Bay and Meeting near Broad Street. I love the alley ways! Sunday is a great time to walk because most of the churches are open for a bit after service for visitors. If I had to suggest a plantation I would say Magnolia because it has such a variety... the petting zoo, the maze, the house, the gardens and gorgeous bridges and most of all the Audubon Swamp! Those are my thoughts off the top of my head. I'll have to do some brainstorming. Will they have a car? The Angel Oak is also worth the drive!

Chirrup18 said...

Magnolia Cemetery! Combines the "architecture" of the mausoleums and the nature of the bird sanctuary. Charlestown Landing is often overlooked as a prime spot for photographers, but it's one of my favorites for getting up close and personal with gators, storks and sometimes even foxes, as well as some of the best live oaks in the area! The old village of Mt. Pleasant offers some lovely architecture, too. So much more...everywhere you look...you can't take a bad picture in the Lowcountry!! Welcome to the prettiest place on earth!

brattcat said...

I'm printing these and putting them in my to-do-in-Charleston pile...thanks, Joan.

Kathy Bates said...

They could go by Ashley Hall on Rutledge Avenue. Even if they couldn't get into the campus, the view from the fence includes the main house built in 1818 and the front fountain.

Lowandslow said...

Not being a local I can't offer any suggestions, but I do know that as a visitor from a few years ago, they can certainly keep their cameras busy for a week. Two, even. :)

S

Kate said...

I will have to print these suggestions for our April trip. Have already planned to surf your blog to add restaurants and places that you have posted previously. Know I'll be busy!!

Rachel said...

That is a gorgeous shot of the Inn. I love how you got those mossy branches in there. So pretty! - And this is the place where I want to stay when I go back to Charleston! I hope that we can!

re said...

I love the alleys - St. Michael's, Bedons, Longitude Lane, etc. You can't go wrong with Boone Hall, any of the Ashley River district plantations, the village of McClellanville, CawCaw park, Charles Towne Landing, The Citadel and College of Charleston campuses, Biedler Forest and the Charleston Water Taxi provides awesome photo ops from the water looking in, rather than the usual way. My two cents. :-)

Madame Zimmie said...

Oh, oh- Mepkin Abbey!. It's magical.

Pamela said...

Another option if there is transportation available is Cypress Gardens. Nothing like rowing a boat through a swamp to get a REAL, up close feel for the South!! They also have the butterfly house that I even I haven't checked out yet! There is also Mt. Pleasant Waterfront Park. My favorite time to visit is at sunset. I also recently discovered the gorgeous interior of the city post office on Broad/Meeting St. My favorite houses to visit are the Aiken Rhett house for the architecture and gigantic portrait of Harriet Aiken and also the Nathaniel Russell house for the staircase - amazing!! Chirrup18 is correct, everywhere you look in Charleston there is something worth photographing. Just wander the city. Even if you don't have an agenda you won't be disappointed.

Charlestonjoan said...

Thanks Pamela! There are a few regular blog visitors who are planning trips to Charleston this year and I bet they have printed out your suggestions.

Charlestonjoan said...

Chirrup - Magnolia Cemetery is one of my favorite places in the world. I keep going back! Thanks for adding to our list!

Charlestonjoan said...

I've stuck my camera through their gate many a time!

Charlestonjoan said...

By the time you come back everything you see will look familiar!

Charlestonjoan said...

Kate - Hoping we can work out a visit when you come. That would be a treat!

Charlestonjoan said...

Oh Rachel, it is one of the most beautiful Inns! I hope you get to stay there.

Charlestonjoan said...

I love the alleys too. I think Philadelphia Alley is my favorite. I need to get back to Charlestowne Landing soon. I do like the Water Taxi. It always makes me feel like I am on vacation.

Charlestonjoan said...

Love Mepkin! I did a mushroom run a couple of weekends ago!

Charlestonjoan said...

Pamela - Perfect! I think this is exactly what they needed. I haven't been in those tour houses forever. Do they let you take pictures inside?

Pamela said...

Hmmm. I'm not sure - Surprisingly, I've never tried! Even if you can't I think they are great representations of Charleston style architecture and shouldn't be missed! Another great photo-op I failed to mention is the trip to Ft. Sumter. The fort is amazing (and a huge piece of history) and has amazing views of Charleston, James Island, Sullivan's Island. From the boat you can get a great shot of the U.S.S. Yorktown/Patriot's Point and the Ravenel Bridge.

Charlestonjoan said...

I read that you aren't allowed to take pictures on the spring house and garden tours and thought of how painful that would be so I wondered about the houses.

Antjas said...

I was perusing your blog to get ideas of where to stay. So I looked up Two Meeting Street Inn and of course it is booked up during the time we wish to visit in April as are most of the other fine Inns. I had to laugh however when I was at their website and under the heading Policies, I found the following "The Inn does not allow weddings or wedding related activities on the property. No photography please." Apparently that goes unheeded as well it should. So, now we're trying to decide whether to stay at Folly Beach or keep looking for something downtown.

Charlestonjoan said...

No kidding? You aren't even supposed to take pictures inside the Inn if you are staying there? That is pretty strict. Wedding related activities? Of course for every rule there is probably something that happened to make them write it.

Have you tried the Marriott at King and Meeting? Some of my friends stay there. It used to be a Holiday Inn.