02 May 2011

Events of the day


Marion Square, Charleston, S.C.

When I was a kid and people discovered I was from a family of ten and one of eight siblings, they couldn't resist eagerly suggesting that we could play volleyball. Oh yippee. I couldn't care less about volleyball but these folks looked like they were having a lovely time yesterday morning when I walked through Marion Square.

I stayed up late watching the news last night and tried to stay up to speed all day by slowing my pace as I passed through hospital waiting rooms to catch a glimpse at CNN. I've shared almost every major world news event with random strangers in hospital ward waiting rooms and today was no exception.

I ended my afternoon by hugging a lady in the Women's Services waiting area who was proudly wearing her President Obama t-shirt as she waiting for the birth of her grand niece - a grand niece who will read about Osama Bin Laden and today's events in her history books many years from now.

5 comments:

brattcat said...

our generation has lived through so many powerful events...but i suppose the same could be said of most generations. the earth is a powerful place to live.

Lowandslow said...

In my mind it was indeed a very momentous day. But I wonder how or even if history will remember it? Even WWII has been reduced to no more than a page or so in school history books.

S

Charlestonjoan said...

I just read that one of the most common searched on google yesterday was "Who is Osama Bin Laden?" and it was from kids around 13 years of age. They didn't even know who he was.

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure which is scarier, the Perry Clan forming a 'Volley Ball Team' or a 'Singing Group' Sally

Charlestonjoan said...

Sally - Singing is scarier if I am on the team!