05 October 2010

Sier Lapalang


Sier Lapalang

Part of the reason I went up to Canada over Labor Day was because my sister Shirley and her friend Alex were also flying in from Edmonton. Shirley is a nurse practitioner in a children's cancer hospital and is the musically talented one in our family. The two of them are going over to India this month and have been invited to sing at a local folk festival concert. Shirley found the words to an old Khasi favorite song, "Sier Lapalang."

When I was a kid I used to sit out on our second level porch in the evenings and play this tune on a bamboo flute with our monkey Esau sitting in my lap. Good times.

Namrata, is this one familiar to you?

5 comments:

BeachGypsy said...

Hi Joan, just love your fun blog! Always something fun, new and interesting to see! Love seeing Charleston from your point of view!

Namrata said...

Sorry,Joan!I'm not familiar with Sier Lapalang (I may be excused,as I'm not a Khasi).The first time I knew about it was through your post in March 2010.A few months ago I read about this folk tale written by Danny Pariat in the website of Koi-Hai(a website set up by expatriate British who had served in the tea,oil,railway,etc., industry of India & other parts of South Asia).Danny Pariat is a Pnar(Jaintia) and had worked for tea in Assam.The Khasi folk song I'm most familiar with is the one with the words "U Khynriam, U Pnar,U Bhoi,U War".I'm also familiar with the legends of Ka Nohkalikai & Ka Lieng Makaw.As for contemporary folk singers,I've heard Jurimon Risaw's songs.Enjoyed hearing her melodies accompanied by the Duitara (two-stringed indigenous instrument).Apart from Esau, did you enchant any passersby; who heard you play the flute? Seriously! Not joking.Would love to hear you play the flute some day and also about your admirers then.Here's wishing Shirley and her friend the very best for doing their bit to promote friendship across borders.

Charlestonjoan said...

Thanks BeachGyspy! I enjoyed the photos on your site as well.

Namrata - I love "U Khynriam, U Pnar'! She sang that one as well but I am not sure I taped it. My battery ran out half way through. I am not a musician. I used to pick out songs by ear on the flute ;)) Wish I could!

Les said...

My comment has not a thing to do with your post, but I wanted to send you this link with some excellent photos from the Low Country.

http://www.fractionmagazine.com/artist/eliotdudik

Commander Zaius said...

Great video, enjoyed the music.