15 March 2009

Saturday Funny


Baker House, Ashley Ave., Charleston

Baker Memorial Hospital was built in 1912 as Baker Sanatorium, at a cost of $100,000. The hospital was founded in 1912 by Dr. Archibald E. Baker, Sr. of Charleston and Dr. Lawrence Craig of Dillon. The hospital left this building and constructed a new building in North Charleston in 1981, and the old hospital was converted to a condominium complex called Baker House.

Commenter Paul, Tx mentioned this building on Colonial Lake. It is now expensive condos each costing much more than the original cost of the building.

Bonus Joke:
An eight year girl is trying to check out a book entitled "Advice for Young Mothers" from the local library.

Librarian: Now why do you want to check out this particular book, dear?

Little girl: I collect moths.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Well Thanks...JP:) Yes thats the place. I spent one night in there when I was about 12 yrs old.I spent more time on the lake there in front of the place...haha....using somebody else's boat:)

Agricola said...

I was born in Baker......

Anonymous said...

I didn't realize how recently they closed. 1981. i thought it was long before that.

Judy said...

Looks like a well maintained old building and nice to put it to use and give it new life.

Julie ScottsdaleDailyPhoto.com said...

I am enjoying your photos. I like the In Living Color and Ways to Die. Very creative. I like your building today also. BTW, I am glad you are enjoying the Chihuly art on my website. I am going to continue to post more over time and intersperse the Chihuly eye candy with the desert, interesting cactus, resorts, special events and other photos.

Doug said...

A lot of our older buildings get repurposed but not our hospital buildings, they get incorporated into our ever expanding hospital campuses ;-)

Charlestonjoan said...

Doug - It was probably privately owned and sold - different system than Canada.

Julie - Good deal! I will keep checking back.

Jarart - Yes, it is lovely.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the photo and story. My great aunt, Rebecca Wreden Eickmeyer, was cared for here in 1935 in her latter stages of cancer. When I saw on her death certificate, Baker Memorial Sanatorium, I envisioned a dour place; but that is not the case. I'm certain she was well cared for here.

Anonymous said...

I was born there in 1959. Had stitches in my leg there in 1965. Today was the first time I have been back since then.Sept. 13, 2012