04 January 2016

Lemon Trees

Lemon trees, Charleston, SC  
Look at these lovely lemon trees! I want one. I hope they have them protected tonight. It is cold enough this evening that I just carried in all my hibiscus plants and my sun room looks like a crowded tropical jungle. Some of them still had blossoms on them.

Here is the lemon recipe that tickles me - Whole Lemon Tart. Something about tossing the entire lemon it, rind and all makes me smile and it is tart and delicious. Sadly I can't recall where I got the recipe so I can't give credit but it has worked for me.

Whole Lemon Tart

1 partially baked 9-inch tart shell

1 average-sized lemon rinsed

1 1/2 cups sugar

1 stick unsalted butter cut into chunks

4 large eggs

2 tablespoons cornstarch

1/4 teaspoon table salt

Preheat oven to 350°F. Place the tart shell on a baking sheet on the middle rack of the oven.

Slice the lemon into thin wheels, remove any seeds, and toss the rounds — lemon flesh and peel — sugar and chunks of butter into the container of a food processor. Process, scraping down the sides of the container as needed, until the lemon is thoroughly pureed. Add the eggs, cornstarch and salt and pulse until the batter is smooth.

Pour into prepared tart shell. It will fill it completely but if due to slight variances in tart pans, egg sizes, lemon sizes or crust thickness, you have too much, do not pour it past the top of of your crust or it will become difficult to unmold later.

Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until the filling is set. You can test this by bumping the pan a little; it should only jiggle slightly. The filling is set is also when it starts to get very light brown on top. Let cool on rack, unmold tart pan and serve. I actually prefer this tart completely chilled, which makes it a great dessert to make ahead.


I definitely need to buy a lemon tree.

What a busy day. Everyone who had the long weekend off was waiting to gang up on me today. Whew.

3 comments:

Janie said...

The tart sounds exquisite!

Catalyst said...

Many years ago, my boss in Bismarck, North Dakota, landed a job in San Francisco. He wrote from his new location that he had a LEMON TREE in his yard. A couple of years ago, I moved to Phoenix and also had one. Both of us were thrilled by the discovery. I love lemons.

William Kendall said...

I'm sure I've had tarts like that. I know there's a small belt in the Niagara area here where we can grow certain fruits, but I doubt lemon trees are among them.