01 November 2015

East Siders Matter


Columbus & America St., Charleston, SC   
I've been here, I've been there, I've been everywhere this weekend, but this morning I heard it was the last day of photographer Jack Alterman's display of photos of East Side residents at the corner of Columbus & America Streets and I made that the destination for my walk. I made it and was glad I did.

The east side is a neighborhood in transition and to be honest it hasn't been on my regular walking route because it isn't always the safest place to be. I have missed capturing the character of this old Charleston neighborhood and I am sorry about that. Jack Alterman set up his camera and captured the faces of people living in the area and as I passed people on the street and in the park I searched their faces wondering if I had just seen their picture.

Now, I wonder if my front fence is long enough to do West Ashley neighborhood....heheh.


8 comments:

William Kendall said...

Strong portrait work by Jack. My favourite's the one on the right in the first photo.

Jack said...

Nice series, Joan. I like the casual black and white approach.

Anonymous said...

What crap

Charlestonjoan said...

He is good!

Charlestonjoan said...

I do as well. Glad I got to see them.

Charlestonjoan said...

One person's crap is another person's not crap, I reckon.

Unknown said...

Gentrification

Unknown said...

Gentrification