17 September 2012

My favorite things

Meditation Garden, Bon Secours St. Francis Hospital, Charleston, S.C.
I park on the other side of this garden each morning and have the option of walking across the parking lot or through the garden. The garden route is a little less direct so I don't take it every day which is really dumb since it is so breathtakingly beautiful.

Most mornings as I enter the hospital from the west Women's Services entrances there will be a young man sitting on the bench by the door. He is rumpled, bleary eyed and talking excitedly into a phone. It's a different man every morning but they all have one thing in common. They aren't patients but they wear thin plastic bracelets around a wrist. The bracelet is the tell tale sign of a new father. They are new fathers who have fallen in love with a precious baby born during the night. It's finally a reasonable hour to wake up friends and loved ones.

That is the moment I walk by and smile to myself. It's not a bad way to begin a day.

10 comments:

Kate said...

A beautiful way to begin the day!

Jack said...

I love this picture and would walk through here as often as I could. And, yet, I wouldn't want to miss the new fathers, either. Choices!

Lisa Renée said...

What an incredible way to start your day! Love this post :)

Charlestonjoan said...

It is indeed! Better than the cluster of smokers who used to hang out at the entrances.

Charlestonjoan said...

Jack - it is an amazing garden. It is set up like a cathedral under the oak trees.

Charlestonjoan said...

Thanks Lisa! Makes me grin every morning.

Lowandslow said...

I'm so old I had to take a roll of quarters with me and use the pay phones in the lobby. ;)

S

Catalyst said...

Nice observation. And nice garden.

Charlestonjoan said...

Now we don't even have pay phones in the hospital. They were never used and taken out.

Charlestonjoan said...

It is a lovely garden.