07 February 2012

Oh, the places we will go, the places we will stay!

King's Courtyard, King St., Charleston, S.C.

I was walking back up King St. on Saturday morning and popped into Lily to drool over a pretty mirror they had on their wall. It's hard to drool up onto a wall but I managed. :)) Snooping around I noticed that their back door opens into the courtyard of the King's Courtyard Inn. It looks like a little piece of Europe doesn't it?  The link leads to pictures of the rooms.

Speaking of Europe here is a video of a car racing down the empty streets of Paris at high speed: Rendezvous. Exciting!

Saturday night was the annual Xavier Society Gala with former US Airways pilot Chesley “Sully” Sullenberger, who became a hero overnight when he safely landed a passenger jet on New York’s Hudson River, and his wife as guest speakers.

It is always fun to see people you work with everyday shined up and sparkling! We clean up pretty good and have fun doing it. We were just so full of ourselves pretending to be grown ups. I splurged on my once a year visit to a hairdresser and had a very ornate "do" wrapped and wound around the back of my head although you can't tell from my picture below. The event was at Charleston Place Hotel and everything was lovely considering the packed house.




10 comments:

Lowandslow said...

What a serene looking courtyard. So nice! And quite a gala, too. Now about that drive through Paris....when does Paris ever have that little traffic? And the driver was obviously color blind. Red lights, green lights, all the same to him. :)

S

Les said...

I applied for a job at King's Courtyard once, but did not get past the initial interview. A path not meant to be.

Jane Hards Photography said...

The first thing that struck me was it had a Parisian feel. I adore France, and yes this could quite easily be a little part of there.

Charlestonjoan said...

I thought you might like that Paris video when I posted it! :)

Charlestonjoan said...

Probably for the best. I always picture you outside in the fresh air not behind a hotel counter.

Charlestonjoan said...

I agree Jane! Love the little courtyard balconies. Thanks for commenting.

Susan Moorhead said...

Such a social whirl in Charleston, you always look like you are having so much fun (we are huddled under blankets tivo-ing Castle for entertainment up North).

Charlestonjoan said...

Susan - this is a once a year big deal. That makes it even the more special occasion. It was fun!

Anonymous said...

Lovely shot of the courtyard.

I *think* this location is the starting point for Marianne Wichmann's superb Charleston Tea Party walking tour. http://charlestonwalkingtour.wordpress.com/ Not sure if she is still doing these but if so and you haven't been Joan, you must! The walk ends with tea in Marianne's rear garden.

I've been on the walk a couple of times over the years. Of course, I love the name.....

Kate said...

That is quite a "do"--everyone looks very glamorous!!