07 November 2011

Monday Hodge Podge

Folly Beach, S.C.
While I was shivering at an outside wedding overlooking the marsh on Saturday, across the street surfers were wading into the water. I am such a baby about being cold it isn't a sport I'll be taking up but I can watch them forever. Photographer Kathy Hare was a little further down the beach catching this incredible shot of a kite surfer in front of the lighthouse. Wow.

What else is going on? I've been a little slow grabbing a photo of the new business on King St. People Matter is going to renovate this building and move in. Exciting times for upper King St. People Matter is a Human Resource company that will eventually bring over 250 jobs to the area. It will be nice to follow this with an "after" shot after the renovation.


When Andra Watkins asked people for suggestions for gifts for her parents, I gave my standard answer - buy them a Shingles shot. Crazy? Not so. I am not a person who ever recommends medications or interventions but I personally know so many people who have had a miserable case of painful shingles that in this case I do. Since insurance doesn't always cover it it really is a good gift. Until recently it was only recommended for people over sixty but I've heard the age has dropped enough that I might be ready to get one myself. My understanding is that physician's offices direct you to a drug store and for the first time I spotted this sign at Rite Aid. Shingles Vaccinations Today!


Wonder what Kolo kolo mlynsky is doing in my Lowcountry Blogroll? Julia is from the lowcountry and lives in Czechoslovakia with her adorable family. I love her photos and am delighted that she is actively blogging again.

Finally, a perfect leaf heart imprint. You know me and my pavements.


I am off to cram a few more things in my suitcase. It is unbelievable to me that I will be on a plane to India on Wednesday. How on earth do I occupy myself on a fifteen hour plane ride? Fifteen hours! Colored gel pens to doodle, sticky putty, books.....what else can I do?

10 comments:

chuckography said...

What a perfect time to pack a few audio books. The best (I believe) are when the author reads his or her own book. Tina Fey and Craig Ferguson come to mind. Ear buds seem to work best to cover jet noises.

Have a SAFE trip Joan and have fun.

Donna Gill Colestock said...

Awesome, as always, Joan. What to do? Blog, write, edit phots, draw, journal, watch movies, write notes for that book you have been thinking about and sleep. If you go into with the attitude it is an awesome opportunity with a huge chunk of time you wouldn't otherwise have, You may regret the flight ending. Go buy an extra laptop battery. One more idea is to develop marketing ideas and programs for the hospital volunteers. I really want to see you when you get back.

Lowandslow said...

That kite surfing photo is soooo cool! I wish I knew how to kite surf, but I'm afraid that is one sport that has definitely passed me by.

The audio book idea is a winner, Joan. I'm not familiar with Craig Ferguson's book, but I think he's a great talent. Might be worth a try. Hope you have a wonderful trip. Don't forget to write. ;)

S

Julia said...

Have a fabulous trip!! (And thanks for the call out ;-)

julia@kolo

brattcat said...

a book of NYT crossword puzzles helps pass the time for me. and podcasts of NPR programs and librivox recordings. have a fantastic time!

Rachel said...

Beautiful heart/leaf imprint! I can't wait to see India through your eyes! Have a wonderful time and I will pray that you will have a safe trip there and back. What an adventure!

Anonymous said...

A little string for cat's cradle? Imagine all the kids who have never seen anyone do that, especially the ones who can't tear their eyes away from their electronic gizmo of the moment!

the anonymous librarian

Chattahoochee Valley Daily said...

Bon voyage. I look forward to terrific shots of your journey and remember to look down for some Indian graffiti.

Anonymous said...

Czechoslovakia doesn't exist anymore. Eighteen years ago the two countries have peacefully split and there are the Czech republic and Slovakia since then.

Sarka from the CR

Barclay Hurley said...

As above give a great and nice picture. This is wonderful climate pics. That's really doing a talented work and take a batter photography.

Charleston photographers