10 August 2010

Down memory lane - led by Grace


Grace Memorial Bridge, Charleston, S.C.

Here is a trip down memory lane for you. The photo above was taken when a parade of Model A Ford's were the first cars over the new Grace Memorial bridge crossing the Cooper River in 1929. When the bridge was closed in 2005 to make way for the Arthur Ravenel Bridge, a parade of vintage cars were the last to cross it.

I waited on the Mt. Pleasant side to get a re-enactment of the earlier view but the vehicles came across the bridge one by one with passengers waving, celebrating and taking pictures so it didn't work out quite the same. Still, it was a festive occasion and I'm glad I was there to capture it.

Does anyone else remember the old rickety roller coaster ride of a bridge? Nothing beats Frank Starmer's photo story of the building of the new Cooper River bridge and demolition of the old ones. The opening of the bridge and fireworks display was just grand and felt like a city wide party.




10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh boy! do I remember the old bridge!! There is nothing in the world like being 16 and driving your mom's Country Squire station wagon loaded with teenagers across that two lane bridge! Talk about the fearlessness of youth!! By god, we were invincible! "Louie, Louie" playing on WTMA headed for IOP! Shagging at the pier! Great memories!

Steve said...

That bridge always freaked me out. Too skinny, too long, too high.

JanetLee said...

One of my mother's cousins was a police officer with the city of Charleston in the 30's and 40's. They used to provide bridge driving services. If you were too afraid to drive over it, a policeman would meet you, drive your car across while being followed by his partner for the return ride.

Reagan Bowman said...

Oh I miss the old bridges. They were my first memories of Charleston and I was so sad to see them go!

Anonymous said...

Crossed it many times going to SI. My Dad loved to tell about his father's first time. Had the nerves so bad that he backed off, got some liquid encouragement and then made it over. Bill W.

SCSue said...

One of my most vivid childhood memories - my Grandpa had been over the bridge many times, but my cousin and I had not. The three of us visited Charleston - he, driving his VW bug - my cousin and I in the back seat. The two of us kids were already terrified of the narrow soaring bridge, then as we crested the peak Grandpa let out a gasp of FEAR! We looked ahead, and saw only what looked like the end of the bridge in front of us, plunging into the water at the bottom of the hill. It took Grandpa a while to calm us down, with the twinkle in his eye over the great joke he had played on us. No, I won't ever forget that bridge!

Haddock said...

Love these photos.
This was after the Ford T model, right ?

Charlestonjoan said...

Haddock - you are correct.

SCSue - Yikes! Memorable ride!

Anon - Ha! Drinkin' and drivin'. Janet mentioned that the police used to hang out and drive people over.

Reagan - They were such a familiar landmark. Sad in a way but had to go.

Steve - As soon as they were gone they seemed unreasonable.

Clisby said...

Yes, I grew up in Georgetown, and like your first commenter, learned to tear over the Grace Bridge in a 9-passenger station wagon. Once you've done that, you can drive over almost anything.

Charlestonjoan said...

Clisby - Yikes! I'm not sure I ever would have learned to drive in that case!