15 April 2010

To market, to market......


St. Philip St., Charleston, S.C.

If you saw the movie Dear John, you might recognize this scene as the eastern European market scene. Amazing what they can do with a tight shot and a few signs. This is the abandoned building behind Memminger Elementary.

I had taken pictures of the old door before and wandered in snooping around as usual on my walk, when a security guard got out of a car I hadn't noticed and wanted to know what I thought I was doing. I had no clue they were using it for a film set but when I saw the movie it all made sense.

In other news, here is a new Charleston blog to check out: Roaming the Holy City.

5 comments:

T. Becque said...

What a great building. It does look very European.

Commander Zaius said...

Back in the 80's they dressed up Front Street in Georgetown to look like something from the 1940's or 1950's.

Driving down one way it looked amazing! It truly looked like I had slipped back in time.
Going back up from the opposite direction all the plywood, tape, cables, and supports were visible and the effect was ruined.

Charlestonjoan said...

tBeque - It didn't take much to make it work.

Beach Bum - I think they did a lot of real upgrades in Savannah for a movie. I am trying to remember which one - Bagger Vance?

Unseen Rajasthan said...

Beautiful Building !! Loved the shot !!

Chattahoochee Valley Daily said...

Very interesting. I have not seen that movie yet, but I will make sure to pay attention. Darn those security guards.