08 December 2009

Corner Stores of Charleston






Corner Store
by Jonathan Richman


Well I walked past just yesterday
And I couldn't bear that new mall no more
I can't expect you all to see it my way
But you may not know what was there before
And I want them to put back my old corner store.

Well I walked past just like I say
And I felt this hurt that would not go home
I can't expect that you're gonna see it my way
But you may not know the trees I've known
And I want them to put back my old corner store.

I know it costs more money to shop there
But this was love, this was love
I know you had to pay more money
I'll pay money, I'll pay more
I don't care what the mall has got
I want back that corner store

And what did I feel when I walked by slow
Sorrow sorrow, all around
Why I would feel sorrow I now know
I smell a ghost smell from the ground
That old wooden smell from the old corner store

I walked past one final time
And I wished the worst on the place I shop
Now I can't expect everyone to feel like I am
But I spot a trend that has got to stop
And I want them to put back that old corner store





7 comments:

Frank said...

However it's accomplished, in Charleston and other equally perfect places in our country, the corner store, especially with the corner entrance, is a fixture we must not let disappear. Your shots capture them so well and scream, shop here..I'm local, friendly. Come in and have a cup of coffee, get the newspaper and a smile. Wonderful series and your words are right on!

Doug said...

Those are prettier to look at than the ones here. If it isn't a Mac's, then it has bars and bricked in windows. Depressing little places.

Judy said...

These pictures brought back such memories! It is nice to see that there are still places like this. I can remember my grandfather walking me down to the corner store for a candy treat when I was small. Now it seems the chain stores, Circle K or Seven/Eleven, is all most kids will remember.

Marcheline said...

The only way to keep these places is to shop there, and not at WalMart.

Word!

Caroline in the City said...

Charlies is my corner store of choice!

Charlestonjoan said...

Caroline - That picture is pertty old. I need to get an update.

Marcheline - I can't think of when I've last been to Walmart.

Jarart - Nice memories!

Doug - Hate to hear that. I thought Canada was doing better at this stuff.

Frank - Speaking of coffee, some of our corner stores are offering soup and sandwiches. That seems to be working nicely.

Lowell said...

What a great series, Joan! They all remind me of my childhood. It seems we were always stopping at the corner store to buy candy, or the corner drug store to get cold medicine ...

They were wonderful places that I can still see and smell.