19 August 2009

Tweeting and texting into the future...


SMCCHS, Wachovia Auditorium, Charleston, Charleston, S.C.

I attended the Social Media Club Charleston panel discussion this evening at the college of Charleston's Wachovia Auditorium where we were promised that there were no "stupid questions" about twitter, facebook, friendfeed etc. My impression was that most of the attendees were business people trying to promote their products and talents.

Turns out I am old fashioned and quaint simply being a blogger. I am vintage social media.

It's all very exciting and things are changing so fast it's hard to keep up. I'm not too worried. I work in a "people" job and my day to day life is overwhelmingly social. It's so darned social I am very protective of my personal time. Other than blogging and visiting yours, I have an ancient cell phone that I forget to carry, I don't turn on my answering machine at home and rarely announce what I am doing until after I've done it.
Description: Social Media Club brings together journalists, publishers, communications professionals, artists, amateur media creators, citizen journalists, teachers, students, tool makers, and other interested collaborators. Essentially the people who create and consume media who have an interest in seeing the ‘media industry’ evolve for everyone’s benefit.
Lucky for us, these clever people on our panel (below) are keeping up with the trends and willing to share their expertise with all of us. Keep an eye on their web site or Facebook fan site for future meetings. I might see you there, or I might not. I won't tweeting tell you.

5 comments:

Waldo Lydecker's Journal said...

Don't worry, in a few years they will be dinosaurs, too. In the meantime, seen any good joggling boards lately?

Judy said...

The bit about your cell phone made me laugh. I get yelled at all the time by our kids for never turning mine on when we're out and about. Plus I've been called a dinosaur many times.

Frank said...

If blogging is "vintage" then I should cool it on my excitement about blogging daily. I feel creaky not being a regular Tweeter-er, but I just don't want to Tweet ad nauseam nor do I find everyone's moment by moment Tweets that interesting. But, I do have a Facebook, LinkedIn and Tweeter account. I'm trying.
I like what you said that you're protective of your personal time. Tweeting in itself breaks down all of those personal walls.

BTW, your cemetery photos are terrific and I have started exploring an old burial ground here. One post down and many more to come. They are fascinating and rich with photos. Are you reading Pat Conroy's new book yet? (You'd be the one who'd know if it's really good or not.)

Charlestonjoan said...

Waldo - I keep my eyes out for ya! Don't give up on me.

Jarart: I use my cell phone when I want to. It doesn't mean I have to be available to everyone every minute.

Frank: I agree. If I didn't have the extreme social day to day buzz I can see more use for it. I am either hypersocial or a hermit.

I'll check your blog for the cemetery. Cemeteries are some of my favorite walks. Have not got the Conroy book yet. I can't wait. Maybe for my plane trip next week.

Anonymous said...

"vintage social media" - That has a nice ring to it! You've coined a phrase!