20 August 2009

Moving Picture Show


Terrace Theater, Charleston, S.C.

I took a couple friends to my favorite theater this afternoon. One hundred and thirty of them. Heh! There were about ten regular customers who I am sure hoped for an empty theater on a Thursday matinee and we had the place packed full.

Owner Mike Furlinger gave me a little discount for my hospital volunteers and we used it as an end of summer thank you event, skipped out of work and saw "Julia & Julia". What fun. The movie was grand, Meryl Streep was the perfect Julia Child.

I found it hard to care about the blogger gal part of the movie and that's too bad considering I've been more of a blogger than a cook lately. Since I wasn't familiar with her part of the story before today I'm not sure if a good actress was realistically portraying a whiny person or if a bad actress was portraying a likable gal. The contrast of her cranky character with the joyful Julia was almost too much. Julie Powell still has a blog.

It was a blast knowing everyone in a packed theater. A few of us continued the party at Zia next door. What I had was very good but I am going to have to go back for the Portabella Quesadilla I had my eye on across the table. Yum, yum!

Have the rest of you seen it already? What did you think?

Thanks Mike, for hosting us so graciously at the Terrace Theater! We had a great time!

8 comments:

Commander Zaius said...

Charleston is so much more civilized and fun than Columbia. Wish we would get a theater like the Terrance here.

Charlestonjoan said...

A couple of years ago, someone gave me a $100 gift certificate to the Terrace for Christmas. It was the perfect gift!

Anonymous said...

My husband and I saw "Julie and Julia" last Sunday and loved the movie! I thought the two stories were interesting. After visiting Julie Powell's blog, I think she is just a crabby person. No wonder Julia just sort of ignored her.

jusdealem said...

I will have to see this movie. I love Meryl Streep.

Anonymous said...

HI Joan! I read ya but haven't been good at leaving comments. Hope all's well out your way.

Charlestonjoan said...

wildstorm - Back at ya! Love the baby pictures.

jusdealem - Go. It is a lot of fun. A foodie love story.

Anon - Also, Julia must have been in her 90's at the time and probably didn't have a clear understanding of what a blog was.

Anonymous said...

Tall & Handsome and I think the movie was brilliant. I feel that it helped quite a bit to have previously read "My Life in France". Casting in the film was superb. And I have to admit: it rekindled a desire to cook again. Well, sort of.

Tiger Fan said...

Meryl Streep WAS Julia and I think the movie could have just been about Julia and it still would have been great. She was quite a gal! I find it understandable she did not give the blogger her endorsement.