09 June 2009

Paging Dr. Sock Monkey


Sock Monkey MD, Charleston, SC

Who remembers Sock Monkeys? They are traditionally made out of a pair of red heeled work socks. The last time I made one was for my daughter some 27 years ago. Ouch.

It doesn't take much googling around to discover that sock monkeys are back in a big way. Check out the wedding monkeys on Kitty's Bloggy Bits, the Maribel Made flickr set (wow!) and Sock Monkey Fun. Check out this one!

It got me thinking, and you know how dangerous that is. What do you think of Sock Monkeys as a fundraising project for the American Heart Walk?

I like "Don't Monkey Around With Heart Disease" as a theme. I picture monkeys being made dressed and sold as a fun tropical silent auction evening. I made a quick sample up following Kitty's advice and a friend made a pattern for a scrub suit to start us off. We actually took a real scrub suit off a doctor's back (thanks Dr. Geer!) but started by learning the pattern in white before we cut it up. Heheh.

What do you all think? Would it work? Are there enough creative people around to come up with theme dressed monkeys? We could raise more money by packaging them. If a spa monkey was dressed in a robe and had hair wrapped in a turban she could come with a spa certificate etc. A Chef Monkey could come with a restaurant dinner certificate.

Thinking out loud here. Throw out any suggestions. Ya gotta admit it is different! I'll monkey around with more links later. I gotta run.