07 April 2009

National Start! Walking Day


Magnolia Plantation, Charleston, SC

My earlier blog was called Walk this Way. I don't do much preaching but clearly walking works for me. I walk a couple of brisk miles almost every day. I walk to the grocery store, library and bank. Feeling good and staying healthy works for me but if research is your thing there is plenty of it.

Walk Your Way to a Healthier You
Walking has the lowest dropout rate of any physical activity. It’s the simplest positive change you can make to effectively improve your heart health.

And it's free!

Tomorrow is National Start! Walking Day. Wear your walking shoes to work. Try to get out and walk. Make someone walk with you.

I bought a couple of pairs of discounted Cirque de Soleil tickets to motivate walking at the hospital tomorrow. Employees have to walk the block or path circling the campus on Wednesday to be eligible to enter. As soon as I sent the email out I had entries returned. People were promising that they had walked on Wednesday when it was still Tuesday. Hmmmm. That is some fast walking.

8 comments:

Lowell said...

Gorgeous photo...I'd walk a mile to see that! And you're right on target re: health benefits of walking! Good work!

Charlestonjoan said...

Jacob: Isn't it lovely? One of my favorite places to walk.

Judy said...

I've run out of adjectives for your photo's so I'll just have to start over again.
Awesome!

Charlestonjoan said...

Jarart! That works :))) Thank you.

Halcyon said...

I love the portrait of the peacock. It's like he's posing for you!

becomingkate said...

Bill and I just started walking. Then we came home and needed a nap, lol.
Pretty pic!!

Paula said...

Is there a national "Start Rowing Day"? I'm about 22,000 meters into a 100,000 meter rowing challenge. Not much scenery, unless you count CNN. I used to be an avid walker, I have no idea what happened....

Charlestonjoan said...

PJ - I need to start rowing or something for my upper body. All I do is walk. Maybe I can learn to walk on my hands?

becomingkate - that is the only problem with exercise. It makes you hungry and tired.

Halcyon - He was posing for another person who I cut out of the shot. Heheh.