28 December 2008

Sooooey!


McCrady's Farm, Wadmalaw, SC

My friend Andre' invited me to see the farm where chef Sean Brock nurtures his heirloom seeds, grows fresh produce for McCrady's restaurant and raises pigs. We headed out to Wadmalaw Island, stopping at the Piggly Wiggly on Johns Island for tea and coffee for us, and a couple gallons of milk for the famous piggies I'd been hearing about.

The farm was cool. The day was bright and sunny. After we walked the fields we took the dirt road to the pig farm. The promised routine was that the pigs would hear the car coming and rush from the woods for their treats.

There were no pigs anywhere. Not one. Andre' banged on the car to get their attention. We climbed over the fence and through the marsh calling for the darn piggies. Not a peep. Not an oink. Not a squeal.

It's been suggested that the herd of lowcountry pigs didn't feel like responding to a Frenchman and a Canadian making pig calls. Hmmmph. I'm still not convinced there are any pigs, but just in case, I found the video from the Iowa State Fair Hog Calling contest and I've been practicing. Pig Calling 101

Stay tuned kids. One day I'll tell you the story about my elementary school teacher leaping out of the classroom window to save my five year old brother and his friends who had set the neighbor's thatched pig pen on fire smoking their first cigarettes in secret.

5 comments:

Kim said...

Joan, your shot today put me in mind of walking to school as a child and the mustard plants along the way. This is a gorgeous photo, by the way.
I have to compliment you on the composition of your shot a couple days ago. I saw it in the portal as a thumbnail, and it was just a killer even there. So, where DID you take it. It sort of looks like a Bollywood poster only there's a sacred heart of Jesus as Molotov cocktail going on. . . And, your tea post just cracked me up! I like a woman who will admit to drinking Lipton in this age of abundant specialty teas. I'm glad you were able to find tea from the area in which you lived as a kid.

I enjoy your blog immensely and want to wish you continued great shots as you show us beautiful Charleston,
-Kim
Seattle Daily Photo

Anonymous said...

Now Joan, you know perfectly well that a beautiful "bird" like yourself will never be able to squeal like a pig. Never! ;)

S

Anonymous said...

Kim - Thank you. I've been enjoying your Seattle site as well. This has been an enjoyable glimpse into what is going on in cities around the world.

The colorful mural is on a downtown Charleston side street. A better view is on this gentleman's blog Mustang Rolling.

lowandslow - You just made my day :))

Anonymous said...

Hi Joan,
Sorry you didn't get to see any pigs but I'm sure you had a great time at the farm especially since the weather has been so terrific. Hanging around Andre is bound to turn you into a foodie. Its a great thing to be.

Anonymous said...

Ann - Those pigs had best find a really good hiding place. I believe a picnic is in the works.