|Sullivan's Island Lighthouse, Sullivan's Island, SC|
Being one of the newer lighthouses on the coastline had its perks. Unlike historic lighthouse structures which are still in operation, and which feature hundreds of stairs for personnel to ascend to the top, the Sullivan's Island Lighthouse features an elevator as well as air conditioning, ensuring that the Coast Guard personnel who operate and perform regular maintenance checks on the lighting fixture can do so without excessive heat, or a long climb. In addition, the triangular design allows the structure to withstand hurricane force winds of up to 125 mph - a definite plus in a coastal region that has regular ferocious storms every few decades or so.The comments on Trip Advisor won't bring in many visitors but did make me laugh. Wow! These folks were not impressed with our quirkily designed lighthouse.
- It's not pretty for sure.
- Unable to get close to lighthouse. Not open to public. Cool bunkers close-by. It has a unique shape - unlike other lighthouses. Actually, it's unattractive.
- Neat to see but could be better.
- My wife called it ugly but I though it was very interesting.
- But I have to give the Sullivan's Island Light the award as hands-down the ugliest lighthouse I have ever seen.
- This is NOT open to the public and it REALLY needs a paintjob. Probably the ugliest lighthouse I have ever seen.
- This is the strangest looking lighthouse I've ever seen. It looks more like an air traffic control tower than a lighthouse.
- Took the kids to see the lighthouse but was disappointed we couldn't go inside. I thought we would be able to climb the steps inside but it's right by beach access so we went to the beach. Visit wasn't a complete waste of time.
- Ugly lighthouse. It's behind a fence with not much of a view and has no tour or information or anything. The wife, who is a huge lighthouse fan, wouldn't even get out of the car. Do yourself a favor and skip it.