25 March 2013

The Midnight Train to Georgia

Savannah, GA
Not quite the midnight train but close enough. My sister Barbra and her husband emailed to say they were taking a snow break weekend in Savannah. Since they had come all the way from Canada I didn't want to miss the chance to see them. We expected rain all weekend so I had the brilliant idea to take the Amtrak train down the coast. It is a brilliant idea and everything went smoothly except for that fact that the train pulls up at 5:06 am (yawn).

I arrived before sunrise and shared a cab into town with a couple of SCAD students on their way back from New York City. It was too early to awaken a couple on holiday so I wandered the cobblestone riverfront streets, grabbed a cup of coffee and visited the waving girl statue. It was great to see family and catch up. We had a yummy brunch, walked around Forsythe Park, took the movie tour and had a great dinner at Sage before they dropped me back off at the train station. The train was easy, efficient and clean. The only snag was the both routes up and down the scenic coast were done in the dark at this time of the year.