27 October 2012

Gifts my mother gave me

Miriam Cameron Perry, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
 Gifts my mother gave me:
  • She took us to see the Peter Pan statue in Kensington Gardens as if it was our family shrine
  • Picnics! From proper picnic hampers at the Botanical gardens at Niagara Falls to tomato sandwiches in parks in Tehran she made a meal outside an adventure.
  • She took us to see the cannon that Rudyard Kipling's Kim sat on in front of the museum in Lahore, Pakistan.
  • Tea. It's always time to put a kettle on. We visited tea plantations and drank Assam Tea in Assam.
  • The love of books. My mother would get up in the middle of the night to have a few peaceful moments to herself. We'd awake to the sound of her typewriter and one after another we would sneak into the kitchen to huddle by the coal stove and insist on chapter after chapter of the latest book in progress. Eight kids - sniffling at the sad bits. Picture it.
  • How to patch a wound, knit a sweater and make a mean shepherd's pie. 
Things my mother didn't give me:
  • Middle name. Neither I, nor any of my five sisters have middle names. I didn't give my daughter one.
Many more but these struck me! My mother has been gone for years now but these are gifts I will always have.