07 July 2012

Shem Creek Paddle Board Shootout

Shem Creek, Mt. Pleasant, S.C.
I had the day to myself so I drove over to Mt. Pleasant to watch the paddle board competition at Shem Creek. These things amaze me. The first time I ran into them close up I was in a kayak and they looked like they were walking on water. I still have no idea why it is called a Paddle Board Shootout.

More photos.

I watched them go out and hung around thinking the neato shot would be to see them all coming back into Shem Creek until I overheard that the elite race was 8.2 miles and the recreational group was going 3.4 miles. Hello? These folks must have some arm muscles.


5 comments:

Catalyst said...

Wish I could do that but I don't think I could even stand up on one of them.

Charlestonjoan said...

I'm too lazy. I like to sit back in a kayak and float a bit and enjoy the scenery. If I sat down on one of those I'd never be able to get back up.

Pixel Peeper said...

This looks like a lot of fun, with the most fun being had by the four kids in your last shot.

Charlestonjoan said...

They were adorable. He was giving them a ride after the race.

Les said...

I love the family paddlers. More of these are seen around here as well, and while I would be willing to try one, I think kayaks suit me better.