05 June 2012

Make my green eyes blue...

Oh....I've had a hard time living with green shutters but it wasn't the top priority when I moved in. Yeah for blue paint! Finally. Thanks Charlie!  It looks much better today. Blue shutters are a much better look for me.

Things are coming together gradually. I made a tomato pie and invited everyone's favorite grandmother Rainy Rose over for dinner for a test run. Tomato pie may be one of my new favorite dishes. Absolutely scrumptious.

So many of you asked for the Tomato Pie recipe I had to try to find something close to what I made. The problem these days is that when I cook, I google mutliple recipes and mix and match according to what I have on hand and what suits me. This Tomato Pie with corn sounded great but I didn't want an upper crust and I'd eaten the last of my silver queen corn the night before. I will make the version with corn some day. Other than that it is very close to what I made. I combined ingredients from this one and Paula Dean's version.

Tomato Pie

1   9-inch deep dish frozen pie shell
3/4 cup grated mozzarella 
3/4 cup grated cheddar
1/2 cup chopped green onion
10   fresh basil leaves, chopped
3 - 4  large tomatoes, peeled and sliced in 1/4' slices
1/2 cup Hellman's mayonnaise
salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. First, blanch the tomatoes to peel and slice. Place the tomatoes in a colander or lay out to drain. Sprinkle a layer of cheese in the bottom of the pie shell, then a layer of tomato slices, salt & pepper, basil, onion and spread mayonnaise and repeat until tomatoes are used. Spread the mayonnaise and cheese mixture on top of the tomatoes and bake for 40 minutes or until lightly browned. I think I had three layers of tomatoes. 


To serve, cut into slices and serve warm. Prepare to be adored.