14 January 2012

Presidential candidates swarm the Holy City


Mayor Riley at Marion Square, Charleston, S.C.
Holy confusion, kids! The city is swarming with Republicans, giant black SUVs and buses with Newt Gingrich's face plastered on the side. Newt leered in the window overseeing my caprese sandwich at Caviar & Banana. One gentleman in the crowd had a vehicle with a giant stuffed dog on the roof and a sign saying "Dogs Against Mitt Romney," so that settles that.

Newt Gingrich's bus outside Caviar & Bananas
I had planned to meet my blog buddy Chuck to talk about a few of his photo projects and to hear about a speaking engagement I had suggested him for and I didn't realize what a hotbed of activity I had picked as a location. We were directly across from the Sottile Theater where the debate was taking place.

Earlier that morning, however, I had timed my morning walk to hear Mayor Riley stake a claim in the lowcountry for President Barack Obama. He was surrounded by College of Charleston Democratic students. I ran into reporter David MacDougal who wrote the event up for the Post & Courier.

"I speak from a city and county where, four years ago, a majority of residents voted for Barack Obama as president," Riley said.

"In about an hour, in an event that is apparently closed to the press (at the Sottile Theatre), candidates will be talking" about why they should be elected to lead our country, Riley said. "We have a leader in this country. He resides at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue and his name is Barack Obama."

9 comments:

Lowandslow said...

If a photo could kill an appetite, that bottom one would do it for me. :(

S

MrScribbler said...

What? Vermin Supreme -- my chosen candidate -- isn't there?

It's not a real election, then....

Charlestonjoan said...

Lowandslow - I hesitated to use his name because I didn't want to be associated with him in any way!

Charlestonjoan said...

Scrib - that is some candidate you are supporting! Why isn't he here?

Les said...

Though I know better, the national press would leave you to believe that the only people in SC with Democratic leanings would be the mayor and those few people pictured around him.

I am sorry your lunch was ruined.

Kate said...

Don't know about you, but I'm getting pretty tired of the debates. They hurt more than they help. Very little, if any, substance on important issues. Can't say that I've ever learned much from debates...on either side of the aisle. Glad I'm more artsy-fartsy than political!

Marcheline said...

Joan - your last picture is EXACTLY why I carry a large black Sharpie marker in my pocketbook at all times. Ole Newt (gawd, what a name) would have left with a 'stache he didn't grow himself if I'd had to look at him while eating my lunch!

Charlestonjoan said...

Les - Right. That is why I was heading to the Mayor's little press conference in the first place.

Kate - Me too!

Marcheline - Hahah! Or I could have drawn devils horns on him. With luck he'll be out of the picture after the SC primary.

chuckography said...

Hmmm. I try to avoid politics, religion and sex.
Also in my blog.
I enjoyed the duck confit sandwich.
Great suggestion Joan. Thanks.