23 January 2012

Old Buildings & Sardines

Meeting St., Charleston, S.C.
Isn't this a lovely home? I wandered the Church, Water, Atlantic St. route on Sunday morning and didn't jot down each location but I think this one was on Church St.

Edit: Corrected by commenter to 22 Meeting St. Thanks! 

Sunday's Post & Courier also had this letter to the Editor that caught my eye. It appears that the writer is responding to what must have been an article about over crowding in area schools and she is saying that Trident Tech classes are crowded as well.

You can click the link to get to the full letter but I had to laugh when she complained about being stuck in skills labs with eight to ten students to an instructor stuck in a classroom built before the '90's. Ha! If she is lucky she will get a job when she graduates and work in a building built well before the 1900's.  Sardines in a can before they die?! Can she be serious?

Trident Tech's 'sardine' students:

For skills, we are divided up into groups, often taught by other students. In skills lab, we have five and six instructors with eight to 10 students each, crammed in a small classroom built before the '90s.

Once again, it is difficult to see or hear the instructions to perform the skills needed for the next day's clinicals at the hospitals.

I often wonder if this is how the sardines in a can feel before they die.
Not to be intimidated by the classroom inadequacies, I signed up to work with the graduating seniors in the Nursing Center on my own time to cover what I missed.
There is no life in college except those special moments when we huddle together in class to learn and prepare for a better life after graduation.

10 comments:

CharlotteHutsonWrenn said...

a fantastic photo...would very much like to know the history of this house.

Charlestonjoan said...

It is lovely. So many of our houses face to the side that this front view facing the street looks so warm and welcoming.

Anonymous said...

Stunning. It just draws you in, doesn't it ....

Lowandslow said...

Yes, that is an exceptionally beautiful home. And it appears to be so well maintaned, too. Now, about the Trident Tech student....she is going to be in for a rude awakening when she gets to "the real world". Things seldom go as we would like them to, so you have to adapt. "Plan A" is usually obsolete before you can type "Plan A". I hope she figures this out.

S

jeny said...

As a recent TTC graduate I will tell you, that when you are being tested on something you have never done, based on watching a professor demonstrate the action- it is very frustrating to be packed "in." I just graduated from TTC in August as an "adult." I worked/work full time as a system engineer while obtaining my degree, so I know what to expect in the real world. Unless you have taken classes there with labs- I don't think you would understand her well written letter to the editor.

Charlestonjoan said...

Jeny - I can sympathize with over crowding - it was the comment about classrooms built before the 90's that made me laugh. Buildings built in the 90's aren't that old. I would hope buildings would last longer than that.

Pixel Peeper said...

The comment of "sardines" reminded me of my elementary school years. When I was in fourth grade, we were four classes in one room, taught by one teacher.

Hmmm...maybe that's why my co-workers call me "non-confrontational."

Charlestonjoan said...

Pixel - I had a bench with three students sharing a long desk. We had two classes in one room as well. How did the teachers manage?

Anonymous said...

The address is 22 Meeting St. Located at the corner of Meeting and Atlantic - my mom lives there!

Charlestonjoan said...

Anon - It is so beautiful! Your mom is very lucky. Thanks!