07 January 2012

Dining Reflections

The Grocery, Cannon St., Charleston, S.C.
I had heard that something called The Grocery was going into the old Altman Furniture store on Cannon St. and assumed it would be another one of the gourmet grocery store/restaurants that I am growing so fond of.

Apparently not. The description still sounds like that but through the window it looks like an upscale restaurant. The menu looks delicious but yikes, pricey. "Tastes" are $18 and "Plates" are "$30". Sorry kids. I won't be taking you all out to dinner there anytime soon.

I am sure it will be wonderful food. Let me know! The floor to ceiling window to this dining room part was right at sidewalk level so it will be fun to see dinner parties in action.

10 comments:

Mike said...

Yikes. We're starting to see New York City prices in Charleston.

Charlestonjoan said...

Heya Mike! Let me know if you want to give it a try. Then we can really be judgemental :)

Anonymous said...

Lots of voyeuristic possibilities with floor to ceiling windows... can you review on look and smell?

Hallie said...

Ya'll have got to try the Grocery- the tastes are basically the entrees~ the boyfriend and I loved the crispy pimento cheese bites!

Anonymous said...

Perhaps you should actually enter a restaurant before judging it! It is set up so you can try several dishes and not break your budget!

Anonymous said...

If you want to be judgemental go to Husk..oh wait their "confirmed" for the next month or two.

Charlestonjoan said...

maagsworld - I'll have to back when dinner is in progress and spy on what is being served.

Hallie - sounds yummy!

Anon - Did I judge? Prices are facts. Clearly I love eating out. Expensive prices simply mean I can't do it as often as I'd like. If the price isn't a consideration for you then life must be treating you kindly and you can take us all out for dinner.

Anon - I went to Husk for New Years! Yipee! Took advantage of the three courses for $55 menu and took a gang of friends. We had a great time.

Mike said...

Joan, sure! I'd love to. Shall we sit by the window and make passers-by envious?

Charlestonjoan said...

Ohhhh! A facebook girlfriend already asked me to try it tomorrow. I bet I'll be happy to go again though...

Mike said...

Let me know if it's worth it.