22 January 2012

Before & After - Circular Congregational Churchyard

Civil War Photos - Circular Congregational Churchyard, Meeting St., Charleston, S.C.
I have a crumpled stack of papers printed from the civil war photos site crammed in the bottom of my backpack.  Once and awhile I pull them out and see what I can match up. This morning I walked through the cemetery of the Circular Congregational Church on Meeting St. and found the tomb pictured in this scene.

The church is still there of course and in use for morning service as I wandered in their churchyard. It is a lovely spot. The photo below shows the church building without the tree branch blocking the view.

I hope everyone has had a good weekend. I want this final hour or two to last for ever. Busy week ahead. I am off to watch my new addiction - Downton Abbey.


6 comments:

Carl Miller said...

Joan,

I enjoy your blog and appreciate your broad local interests. With respect to this particular post, I wonder if you are aware of the work that Rick Rhodes has done with archival Civil War photos taken in and around Charleston. He has taken pictures from the National Archive (link: http://www.loc.gov/pictures/search/?q=LOT%204163&fi=number&op=PHRASE) and restored them beautifully. The web site for the restored images is here: http://www.charleston1865.com/

One picture that I found quite interesting was taken of a very young "powder monkey" aboard a war ship in Charleston harbor. Link: http://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/cwp2003000746/PP/

Donna Gill Colestock said...

I love when you do this! What happened to the Church at that point (war, earthquake,?) What year was it taken? Of course, your photos are lovely!

Anonymous said...

I love those comparison shots! Keep 'em comin'!

Kate said...

One thing leads to another on these blogs. Love your contrasting photos, and I went to the link provided by Carl Miller (above comment)...spectacular!!

Lowandslow said...

How cool. The architecture there, both old and new, is spectacular. Thanks for sharing. :)

S

Charlestonjoan said...

Carl, What a treasure trove of pictures. There is another one of the Circular Congregational Church ruins in that batch that is heart breaking. I love the powder monkey. What a fun shot! Thanks for the info!

Donna - These ones were taken after the Civil War. It is labeled:
Graveyard of Circular Church and ruins of Secession Hall in distance, Charleston, S.C. April 1865

Rachel - Thanks!

Kate - I agree.

Lowandslow - We are so fortunate that they rebuilt the buildings aren't we?