08 June 2011

Ticket to Paint


Aiken Rhett House, Elizabeth St., Charleston, S.C.

Whatcha gonna do? I haven't had any photo editing tools for a long time and now I do. I bought Lightroom and it's hard to resist playing a little. This is the Aiken Rhett House on Elizabeth St. which is open for tours.

I am now the proud owner of BAR (Board of Architectural Review) approval and a building permit to paint my house. God help me. Truth is, my brother Jim (the one who lives in India) comes back to visit periodically and lets his siblings put him to work painting. He has painted my house twice before and offered to do it again. He has no clue what the summer heat and humidity in Charleston is like and I don't want any of you to tell him. He said he would simply get up in the morning when it was cool.

Haaaaaahahahah.

Ain't no cool in Charleston in the summer.

Too late. I already paid for his ticket to paint and he will find out when he gets here in a couple of weeks. Sssssshhh.

After my visit with the City of Charleston permitting office, I stopped by Tabbuli Grill on Market St. for my favorite chicken kabob dinner. I have a mental list of places that are comfortable to go in and eat alone and are yummy and this is one that always makes me feel welcome by myself. Thanks folks!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Joan,
How about before Jim paints and after pictures?
How exciting!!!
love Shirley

Charlestonjoan said...

Of Jim or of the house? Heheh.

Charlestonjoan said...

Shirley - fly down for a quick visit. He can paint my house blue and we can paint the town red.

Les said...

The Aiken Rhett was my favorite Charleston house tour, and I subjected all my out of town visitors to a trip.

Charlestonjoan said...

Les, It's been years since I've been in. I need to revisit.

Lowandslow said...

Imagine...a permit to repaint your house. And I thought WE had a monopoly on bureaucrats and regulations. 'Course, we don't have a historic district like Charleston does. Maybe in a couple 'o hundred years.... :)

S


















'Coiurse,

Rachel said...

I loved visiting the Rhett Aiken house when we were there! It is such a shame there is so much water damage AND that they will not allow photography inside. It was one of my favorite houses in Charleston to visit. Now that I think about it, the water damage might have had something to do with me liking it so much! It made it creepy! - I hope your house is painted splendidly!