27 March 2011

Places to see before you are 15


Tradd St., Charleston, S.C.

The overcast skies made my photo walk a treat this morning. This is a yard on Tradd St. that I always admire. Some people must get tired of me poking my camera over their fence. :)

Budget Travel magazine came up with a list of places that they decided kids should see before they by the age of 15. There was a lot of discussion on the page so not everyone agreed. I for one, wasn't going to drive my kids to California to go to a zoo in San Diego, but not only did they see the Grand Canyon - they hiked to the bottom and slept the night when they were nine and ten. They didn't see the Redwoods by fifteen but they have now. I still haven't seen Monticello myself. Shame on me.

15 places kids should see by age 15

Grand Canyon - Arizona
Niagara Falls - New York
The National Mall - Washington, D.C.
Williamsburg - Virginia
Walt Disney World Resort - Florida
Independence Hall - Pennsylvania
Alcatraz Island - California
Ellis Island - New York
Yellowstone National Park - Wyoming, Montana and Idaho

Redwood National Park - California
Monticello - Virginia
The Freedom Trail - Massachusetts
Fenway Park - Massachusetts
Craters of the Moon National Monument & Preserve - Idaho
San Diego Zoo - California

My kids saw the top grouping but not the bottom ones. What do you think? Does the list make sense?

6 comments:

Lowandslow said...

I don't see several of these making my Top 15, but to each his own.

This now has me thinking....I need to formalize my Bucket List.

S

Anonymous said...

Beautiful spring blossoms, Joan.

A blog about... said...

I think the kids would be tired of traveling if you made them see all this before 15. And I don't see anything outside the U.S. ???

Charlestonjoan said...

Lowandslow - Got write your bucket list and share it with us!

charlotte - Isn't is heavenly? A little chilly today though.

A blog about....True. The actual article from Budget Travel called them "American Landmarks" so I guess that narrows it down some and explains some of the choices. They certainly included some I wouldn't travel to see.

Marcheline said...

This list reminds me what a truly affluent country we live in. There are so many kids who are lucky to get enough food and water to make it to age fifteen...

Paul Wilczynski said...

You definitely should see the Zoo in San Diego, now matter how old you are. It's worlds apart from any other zoo, and I'm not particularly a zoo person. I'd go back there from the East Coast primarily to see the zoo again.