30 March 2011

Happy Birthday Jim!


Mawlai, Shillong, India

One hundred and forty seven years ago tonight, give or take a hundred years, I sat straight up and wide eyed on the top bunk of a double bunk bed (yes, one bed - four kids) listening to the howling wind and knowing that my mother was giving birth in the next room. It was her eighth baby and perhaps less frightening to deliver with my Dad's help than go to an unfamiliar hospital. Things happened so fast the decision was quickly made for her.

Happy birthday Jim! Aren't you glad your sisters raised you right?

We strapped him on our backs and played wild games of tag, hardly ever dropped him on hard cement floors and halfheartedly taught him to read a bit in English. Click here to see a picture of my dad sharing a special moment with my two youngest brothers.

5 comments:

Joe said...

The picture of your Dad with your younger brothers made my day. Thanks for the laught.

Charlestonjoan said...

Heheh :)

brattcat said...

Looks as if at times your little sibs made monkeys of themselves.

Doug said...

Ha Ha brothers = monkeys, don't you know by now what they say about paybacks Ms. Perry??? I hope your brothers get you and GOOOD!!!

Charlestonjoan said...

brattcatt - you said it!

Doug - yeah, I'm not bigger than them anymore. ;)