20 January 2011

Where to stay in Charleston?


Andrew Pinckney Inn, Pinckney St., Charleston, S.C.

I've used this photo before but it fit this evening's question. I need to ask you all to help out a reader again. Here is her request:

May I ask a question, Joan? My husband (aka Mr. Brattcat), a dear friend, and I are planning a visit to your fair city next month. I know you've stepped inadvertently into the wedding planning business with Katie's request, but could I ask if you or one of your followers could suggest a B&B or a hotel that is not too glitsy/touristy? We're looking for some real old Charleston experiences and are eager for suggestions. Thanks!

The catch is, that most of us who live here never stay in the hotels. Who can help? Where should they stay?

9 comments:

Lowandslow said...

The last time I was there I stayed at one of the chain hotels in the historic district. Nice, but devoid of charm. I'll be anxious to read what some of your more adventurous readers suggest.

Commander Zaius said...

I have never stayed at either location but I have heard nothing but good stuff about the Cabell House and The Two Meeting Street Inn.

Anonymous said...

planters inn is wonderful

Anonymous said...

I have bookmarked tis post should I venture your way.

Anonymous said...

Some may disagree, but the Mills House is neither glitzy (like Charleston Place) nor touristy (like the hotels around Calhoun and Meeting).

All the people I know downtown (South of Broad) recommend the Mills House for out of town guests or wedding guests.

(Full disclosure, I had my reception dinner there long ago so I may be a bit partial)

Vendue Inn is PERFECTLY located for a tourist and pretty nicely appointed, as a backup, or if your looking for a "boutique" type hotel.


JFH

brattcat said...

This looks so promising. Thank you!

DWright1 said...

My family spent a very nice week split between the Ashley Inn & their sister Cannonboro Inn a few years ago. Great breakfasts, good company and the owners were very helpful to some Charleston newcomers. Nice residential settings, close to lower peninsula attractions.

Charlestonjoan said...

brattcatt - I am busy all day tomorrow but I'll see if I can't walk around soon and collect some photos of these places for you.

Charlestonjoan said...

Thanks to everyone for helping out!