14 January 2011

Wedding Advice Needed


White Point Gardens, Charleston, S.C.

Wedding advice needed. No! Not for me. Yikes! This isn't the National Enquirer. :)

Y'all have helped readers plan honeymoons before and this time we have a request to help a couple in Wisconsin plan their wedding. I received this email yesterday:

Dear Joan Perry,

I hope you don't think it too odd that a complete stranger is emailing you, but I happened upon your blog while I was looking for pictures of the White Point Garden Gazebo. My fiancee and I plan to marry in that beautiful, historic gazebo this year. It will be a small wedding (with the limitations of Gazebo attendance) followed by a possible carriage ride and dinner for all in attendance (25).

Being from Wisconsin and only able to peruse Charleston via the internet, I was wondering if you could recommend a nice restaurant in/around Charleston for our wedding dinner. I trust the opinion of a local far more than any internet review/star rated system! Any suggestion you could provide would be greatly appreciated as I am finding it is very difficult to plan a 'destination' wedding from a distance!

Thank you kindly for your time and consideration.

If you don't mind, I would also like some suggestions regarding a local, affordable photographer.

Sincerely,
Katie & David

What do you think? They need suggestions on a place for dinner for 25 after a downtown wedding. Since we don't know their budget lets suggest the splurge and a more moderate suggestion. How about wedding photographers? Any suggestions?

I will pull out any of your comments from here or on facebook and start a list for Katie.

Here is what we have so far. I will keep adding as the suggestions come in:

Photographers:
Leigh Webber
Joanne Drolet
Tim Will Photography
Merideth Finney Garrigan with A Spot in Time photography

Dinner Locations
Poogan's Porch Close to the park.
California Dreaming (off the peninsula but waterfront)
Blossom Close to the park for your carriage ride. Their dining room lists for 22.
Confederate HomeGreat location and close to the park for carriage ride but I think you would need a caterer. We can suggest them too!


Cake
Lisa Sargent with Let There be Cake

Hair & Make-up
Tanesha Dupree with Affair Hair by Tanesha
Kelly Campbell with Charleston On-site Makeup
Stella Nova

19 comments:

imabug said...

Leigh Webber does some fantastic wedding photography
http://www.ltwebber.com/

Anonymous said...

My friend had her reception at California Dreaming on her wedding day. Almost the same amount of people. I dont know how much budget she has for wedding photographer. I came across this young lady and I think she does great photos. Here is her link http://joannedrolet.smugmug.com/ or if she want someone more extravagant, here's Tim Will photography. http://timwill.com/.
I hope this helps =0)

Charlestonjoan said...

I agree! Love Leigh's work.

Charlestonjoan said...

Thank you. I will check them out as well. People ask me about doing weddings and I like to know where to refer them.

Anonymous said...

Our spring wedding brunch reception was held at Poogan's Porch this past April and we loved it! The old house has lots of charm and Charleston history, the food was very good and everyone there was so nice to deal with. We were able to bring in our own centerpieces, wedding cupcakes and guest favors. We had 35 guests and used the room downstairs at the back of the house, the doors were open to the patio and it was perfect. The upstairs room is also nice (would work for a party of 25 or so).
I would highly suggest Merideth Finney Garrigan with A Spot in Time photography (www.aspotintime.com), she did beautiful work and had a very good "small" wedding package. Boutique photography at a great price. If she needs a cake, we used Lisa Sargent with Let There be Cake in Hanahan - yummy cake and beautiful decorator style.
Katie can friend me on Facebook and see my pics.
Hope this helps!

Starla Mcgorty

Anonymous said...

p.s. if she needs wedding beauty:
Tanesha Dupree with Affair Hair by Tanesha
(one of TheKnot's Top of 2010)
Kelly Campbell with Charleston On-site Makeup
Both ladies are delightful and fun to work with.
Also, I've heard good things about Stella Nova downtown if she wants a salon.

Charlestonjoan said...

I knew you would all help out! Someone on FB suggested the Confederate home which would be a great location but then she'd need a caterer.

Kristen said...

Hi Joan,

I absolutely loved my wedding photos. I had a tiny budget and she did a wonderful job. Her name is Michelle Frizzel who is an associate at Kelli Nixon. Price was $1700 I believe.

My hair and make up were both done at StellA Nova. Love it!!

For reception venue, maybe McCrady's could set up something quaint for them in their upstairs.

some of my photos:
http://darlini.blogspot.com/2009/10/wedding-photos.html

My hair:
http://darlini.blogspot.com/2010/04/my-wedding-hair.html

Kristen said...

Also if she needs any Welcome Bag info I have it all typed up. Let me know!!

Commander Zaius said...

Big fan of Blossom myself, can't go wrong there. And I could be mistaken but I believe Leigh Webber did the pictures at my brother's second wedding. They turned out fantastic.

Charlestonjoan said...

Thanks Kristen! I knew you would have good advice. What is the Welcome Bag?

Charlestonjoan said...

Beach Bum - the size of their room looks pretty close for the group but I agree, they would do a nice job and Leigh's work is great!

Krystle Singleton said...

Why don't you try Mediterra Catering at the Wickliffe House! It's delicious and they are easily able to set up a dinner for 25 in their historic home! Also the food is DELICIOUS!

Charlestonjoan said...

krystle -good idea! I wasn't sure exactly how the Wickliffe House worked.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your engagement and your decision to celebrate your nuptials in Charleston ! It seems you've received lots of good recommendations - I could go on and on referring people but it would probably be more helpful to know your style , budget and a few ideas of your vision for the day ... I am happy to give you any advice I can - do you have a florist ? officiant ? have you reserved the gazebo yet ? If you wish to chat I'm happy to offer up any assistance ... you can reach me at 843-637-1589 .. christy ... You do have great resources here and I do agree that McCrady's , Peninsula Grill, Cypress, or COAST would be great restaurants to consider... the Wyclife House is another excellent recommendation and a beautiful setting .... Good luck with your plans and may all of your dreams come true...

Charlestonjoan said...

Thanks Christy! I knew you would have good suggestions!

New Life said...

Wickliffe House not only cater's events at other locations but also hosts them. I worked for Wickliffe when I was in college and loved them. We always had great reviews and fantastic food!

Anonymous said...

Poogan's Porch is always good; and it is closer than most other restaurants. Charleston Wedding Photographers did a tremendous job for my sister and they were actually "cheap" when compared to others. Kelly of Charleston On Location make-up does a great job. I wish her the best. Ashley

Charlestonjoan said...

Thanks Ashley!