02 January 2011

House Fire on Smith St.


Smith St., Charleston, S.C.

It was a sad pause on my walk this morning when I passed this house on Smith St. where a young student, her two dogs and cat lost their lives yesterday. We've had some fires set deliberately in this area in recent years but they think this one started in the kitchen.

It is always a worry in these wooden houses with old wiring. I have little safety rituals that I check each night and every time I leave the house. I can't tell you how often I have gone back home to make sure that I turned everything off. I believe it is time to check the smoke detector batteries.

What a sad beginning to the year for this child's family. The Post & Courier has more of the story.