02 January 2011

House Fire on Smith St.


Smith St., Charleston, S.C.

It was a sad pause on my walk this morning when I passed this house on Smith St. where a young student, her two dogs and cat lost their lives yesterday. We've had some fires set deliberately in this area in recent years but they think this one started in the kitchen.

It is always a worry in these wooden houses with old wiring. I have little safety rituals that I check each night and every time I leave the house. I can't tell you how often I have gone back home to make sure that I turned everything off. I believe it is time to check the smoke detector batteries.

What a sad beginning to the year for this child's family. The Post & Courier has more of the story.

5 comments:

Commander Zaius said...

Old wiring from the late 40's caused a fire in my grandparent's house back in 79. Only luck kept it from destroying the entire house.

Truly terrible to have such a tragic accident so soon this year.

Pamela said...

So sad! Speaking of fires, a friend of mine is currently being treated in Augusta for 3rd degree burns to 91% of his body. It was the fire that happened in Goose Creek earlier this week. Thankfully the rest of the family got out unharmed. Jeremy is still in critical condition and is currently undergoing cadaver skin grafts and surgery after surgery. They lost everything in that fire. Tragedies like this really make you re-think safety in your own home!

Charlestonjoan said...

Beach Bum - It is sad. New years day.

Pamela - That is a terrible story. I believe he also had connections at work. Someone called me on Thursday about asking employees for support and donations.

Pamela said...

Now that I think about it, his sister (Rachel Harris Campbell) works at the Diabetes Treatment Center for Roper St. Francis - do you know her? I just heard that WCIV/4 is interviewing his Mom, Barbara, as I write this to be aired on tonight's news @ 11. The Schultz/Harris family were our next door neighbors for years.

Charlestonjoan said...

Pamela - I do know her. I think emails will go around today encouraging support. People here are very good about that.