08 January 2011

Hello there, General!


William Moultrie, Charleston, S.C.

I marched straight down King St. to the water this morning and snuck up behind General William Moultrie who was gazing out over the harbor. The original Fort Sullivan was renamed Fort Moultrie in his honor and he is well known for using palmetto trees to build the fort which turned out to be very clever since they were so spongy they simply absorbed the canon balls that came their way.

General Moultrie had a busy career during the Revolutionary War and ended his career as the Governor of South Carolina. He is very much deserving of the statue put up in his honor at White Point Gardens in 2007. BUT. But, but, but....to my shame all I can think of when I walk past the statue is Dan Conover's column in XARK titled Moultrie - The Full Package, about how well endowed he was and I sneak a peak as I go by to see if it is true. And now you will as well.

5 comments:

Pamela said...

Wow. I'm at a loss for words. White Point Gardens will never be the same for me! I'll have to add this point of interest to my tour for visiting friends! Who knew?!

Charlestonjoan said...

Hahah!

Anonymous said...

*giggles***

Commander Zaius said...

Saw it myself, if fact heard a few people make some comments. Greetings from somewhere in the Atlantic heading toward Key West.

Charlestonjoan said...

No kidding! Didn't know it was common knowledge! How perfect.

Sounds like you are having a wonderful time. Enjoy!