05 January 2011

Going, going, gone!


North Charleston, S.C.

This pile of rubble was Baker Hospital, although not the original Baker Hospital building which is now condos on Colonial Lake.

Baker Hospital became Roper Hospital North. After the hospital closed in 2001, the Charleston Metro Chamber of Commerce moved in but now the sweet spot on the water is going, going, gone. Soon no one will even remember there was a friendly community hospital there, but all over Charleston is a group of people that still greet each other and say, "Hey, didn't you used to work at Old Baker?"

3 comments:

Pamela said...

Wow! I must admit that I totally forgot about Baker Hospital existing until this post reminded me!

Namrata said...

Joan,I think the words "used to" in your last sentence,is a habit of our schooldays in SMC-Shillong ? I remember how the habitual use of those two words made one Teacher (have forgotten who she was,but not her words that day)explain to my batch that those two words were avoidable.Your post brought back memories of our Teachers and their words in the Classroom.

Charlestonjoan said...

Namrata - You learned your lessons well! It takes a village to keep up with my grammatical and spelling errors! Good catch.