28 December 2010

New Year's Eve - Dinner Plans


King St., Charleston, S.C.

Years ago as my marriage ended and I faced the fact that I was alone, I was walking up King St.and saw an announcement for a brain storming session for the First Night Festival. I said to myself, "I'll be damned if I am going to sit alone on my couch at midnight" and walked in. I was greeted by a gentleman who looked me over and said, "You must be one of the artists?"

Ha! I wasn't an artist but I loved him for thinking it. I volunteered that year signing in all the artists and performers and the next year and for quite a few years of the Festival's hayday, I was on the board and coordinated all the volunteers for the event.

I roped in everyone I knew to staff venues. We had fire cauldrons in the streets, belly dancers, street performers, comedians, musicians and fireworks. I walked for miles on New Year's Eve checking on venues in churches, schools and auditoriums and touching base with 2 - 300 volunteers. It was a crazy fun night.

When the city absorbed the First Night Festival we looked at each other wondering what to do with ourselves. We started going out to an early dinner at a different restaurant every year. Initially it was my core group of friends but the group changed and grew and now often consists of people who might otherwise be alone, friends as well as some of my hospital volunteers.

We've treated ourselves to Ansons, Fulton Five, FIG and Circa 1886. The last two years we were welcomed like royalty to McCrady's Long Room when my friend Andre' Guillet was the General Manager and spoiled us all. This year we are going to FISH Restaurant on King St. We go early before the craziness on the streets and are often happily snug at home to watch the ball drop in Times Square.

If you haven't made your plans yet, going out to dinner it is a good way to celebrate! Most restaurants have a fixed price meal as well as their regular menu. If you decide to go to early dinner at FISH let me know so I can say "hey!"

12 comments:

Jack said...

You are a go-getter, Joan! Good for you. Have fun with your gang on New Year's Eve.

Pamela said...

I was at the very first First Night that happened in Charleston - I think it was 1998-99 maybe? I actually managed to get my parents out of the house to enjoy the festivities downtown. Now that they are gone those memories of that night are extra special. Not everyone can say they watched a pineapple drop on New Years Eve with their parents! Thanks for reminding me of that wonderful night Joan!

Charlestonjoan said...

Right! The pineapple drop! Then one year we had wild fireworks at Marion Square and set a palm tree on fire. Heheh. Good times :)

Charlestonjoan said...

Thanks Jack! Happy New Year to you.

lowandslow said...

That sounds like an absolute ball...what a way to spend New Years Eve! Unfortunately, for reasons I won't go in to, I'll be exhausted and in bed sound asleep long before the new year begins. Hope you have a great time. :)

S

Eleanor said...

I feel inspired to do something fun on New Year's Eve. Have a happy...

Charlestonjoan said...

lowandslow, Eleanor - wish you both could join us!

Commander Zaius said...

We are staying home at our house New Year's Eve getting ready for the cruise. Haven't been to FISH yet, we tend to hit Blossom on a regular basis when we come down and eat fancy.

Anonymous said...

I can so relate Joan!! You are an inspiration. Maggs.

Charlestonjoan said...

Beach Bum - I love Blossom! Good choice.

maggsworld - I know you can. Back at ya!

Susan Moorhead said...

love the way you grab life by the horns! A fine example :) SOunds like a lot of fun down there - but then it always does (makes some New Yorkers jealous!)

Becky said...

Wow! That is such a great idea, and so awesome that you can all spend time together and know you're not alone. Happy New Year!!!